1984 Claud Butler Majestic

Re: Claud Butler Majestic

Peachy!":2e6x97l3 said:
Your stickers Allen look like a 79-81 version, Captains would be 82-86

Numbers please gentleman and we’ll soon sort it... (if anyone’s really interested :roll: )
I'm not able to get to mine at the mo as I've braved the arctic conditions and driven in to work today but if Peachy says that mines the earlier one I'll take that as read. Don't know why but I just assumed that the fonts used meant the other way round age wise.

The question now is can I get the correct decals if I do repaint mine (and yes it would still be gold Chris)

Re: Claud Butler Majestic

allenh":3srfgysi said:
Peachy!":3srfgysi said:
Your stickers Allen look like a 79-81 version, Captains would be 82-86

Numbers please gentleman and we’ll soon sort it... (if anyone’s really interested :roll: )
I'm not able to get to mine at the mo as I've braved the arctic conditions and driven in to work today but if Peachy says that mines the earlier one I'll take that as read. Don't know why but I just assumed that the fonts used meant the other way round age wise.

The question now is can I get the correct decals if I do repaint mine (and yes it would still be gold Chris)

Yes, Steve @ HLloyd cycles has both types... as for Gold, I wouldn’t expect anything less.. :D

Re: 1983 Claud Butler Majestic

Well, I've ridden it up and down the road. Sort of. Frame feels lovely and rides straight. Reminds me of a Holdsworth Mystique I had ages ago... Chain currently has a tendency to slip on the rear freewheel though - not sure what's causing this but will be easily cured I'm sure. I think it's mainly suffering from lack of use/lubrication - I've measured the chain and it's got plenty of life left - usually a good sign!

So far I'm actually pretty keen on keeping the friction shifting.

What I can't quite decide at this stage is which accessories to keep. Usually the first thing I do is pull off all the unnecessary reflectors and weighty steel brackets. The dynamo lighting system on this is pretty nice though - includes a chainstay mounted "dynapower" unit. But it doesn't currently function! And should I keep the original rack or upgrade to a period Blackburn? Then there's a rear view mirror and a handlebar mounted bottle carrier. All charming, but...

Attachments

• 2FE1B708-6558-490A-AEB8-BC39D2C46951.jpeg
    2FE1B708-6558-490A-AEB8-BC39D2C46951.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 619

That’s a Claud Butler Cape Wrath rack you have there... original kit. It took me two years of constantly messaging eBay sellers begging them to sell me theirs separately from the bikes they were bolted to before I got mine (and I paid way over the odds for it)
If you swap yours out I won’t talk to you any more... the dyno junk can go in the bin... :D

Re:

allenh":3cy708t3 said:
Peachy!":3cy708t3 said:
the dyno junk can go in the bin... :D
I'll second that

Well, I quite like it. Never had one like it before. Google tells me it was made by Sanyo. But in truth I rarely ride after dark, so maybe I'll take it off for now... I bet it weighs a ton.

Peachy!":3cy708t3 said:
That’s a Claud Butler Cape Wrath rack you have there... original kit. It took me two years of constantly messaging eBay sellers begging them to sell me theirs separately from the bikes they were bolted to before I got mine (and I paid way over the odds for it)
If you swap yours out I won’t talk to you any more...

Ha! Well... this is supposed to be more practical rebuild than brochure-spec resto, so the rack will be tested and will stay if it's practical. If it sways all over the place when loaded like the similar one I had on a Dawes Galaxy then I'll put the Blackburn on! Originality is all well and good, but period upgrades are OK too.

Is there a better idea for the bottle cage? Frame has no bosses!

Attachments

• 79CB588A-EFEB-4382-B0D5-8782E485A7EB.jpeg
    79CB588A-EFEB-4382-B0D5-8782E485A7EB.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 591

I like that rear mech on there, it is 'only' 4 years newer than the bike after all and would have made for a perfectly reasonable replacement at the time.

Am liking the dyno too. A lot of that stuff gets chucked and forgotten about - its how things were back then, not shiny mirror finished paint and mechs but knackered looking bikes that ploughed their way to work and back no matter what the weather.

legrandefromage":3cgfgjis said:
I like that rear mech on there, it is 'only' 4 years newer than the bike after all and would have made for a perfectly reasonable replacement at the time.

Am liking the dyno too. A lot of that stuff gets chucked and forgotten about - its how things were back then, not shiny mirror finished paint and mechs but knackered looking bikes that ploughed their way to work and back no matter what the weather.

Right on LGF... Your vote has enthused me to leave it alone apart from fixing what's broke. After all, I bought it because I like the way it is. It tells a story. I might still take the reflectors off though. I always do.

On that note... I think I'm going to put (black) Schwalbe Marathons on it.

Ah and incidentally, the CB rear rack is not very rigid. It'll do for my needs for now but I wouldn't want to do a loaded tour with it.

Captain Stupido":ykxl1uw7 said:
Ah and incidentally, the CB rear rack is not very rigid. It'll do for my needs for now but I wouldn't want to do a loaded tour with it.

I binned so many of those :facepalm:

Back