1984 Brodie Custom

Amazing bike! A Great example of early Canadian mountain biking history!
Thanks for posting :)

Re:

hey roy, i finally got here to see the details of the beast in pixels! interesting design elements, both borrowed and original- shades of things to come! seems amazing to think paul was doing stuff of that caliber so far back. cool he was doing sloping top tubes that far back- not in '86 when he officially launched 'brodie' bikes.

i hope you've weathered the holiday 'cheer'! ;o)

BC":1dqmwl7s said:
I wonder who taught Paul how to frame build?

Didn't Derek Bailey, originally of "Roberts" cycles play a part in this...? When Rocky Mountain Or Sherpa manufacturing as it was first called started...?

I think Jacob Heilbron had Chas Roberts Fabricate some mountain bike frames with sloping top tubes and had them sent over as well prior to taking that first step into unknown MTB territory for themselves. (I think Ritchey was the example sent to Roberts too).

I understand that Paul and Derek didn't hit it off at all though, and by 86 Paul had moved on.

sinnerman":37k70zd9 said:
BC":37k70zd9 said:
I wonder who taught Paul how to frame build?

Didn't Derek Bailey, originally of "Roberts" cycles play a part in this...? When Rocky Mountain Or Sherpa manufacturing as it was first called started...?

I think Jacob Heilbron had Chas Roberts Fabricate some mountain bike frames with sloping top tubes and had them sent over as well prior to taking that first step into unknown MTB territory for themselves. (I think Ritchey was the example sent to Roberts too).

I understand that Paul and Derek didn't hit it off at all though, and by 86 Paul had moved on.

My apologies sinnerman for not seeing this when you posted it. I'm not sure if or how much Bailey mentored Brodie. Paul had already put together a couple frames to show Rocky that he could do it and as I understand it, the first few frames that he did for Rocky weren't even made at Rocky. Paul was already well versed with motorcycles, lathes, and milling machines and knowing both individuals, Paul has a mechanical gift that Derek never did.

I'm unclear about the rest of your post re Jacob and Chaz. Cheers.

Back