1983 Raleigh Record Sprint Headset Woes, Please Help!

Nottingham 1983 frame number so it will have left the factory with a standard English headset :)

Re:

Thanks for that! Sounds like the frame should be OK then spoke to the guy in my Local LBS this morning, he's going to take a look for me and will get something to fit, (he's good and one of the few bike mechanics I trust) Good to be armed with the info of what the bike left the factory with. He will sort the fork out too. Maybe it got the fork swapped at some point (it does look original though)
or the surface got peened during the shot blasting process. Resigned myself to the fact that sometimes it's best to let the people with the right tools for the job do these things!

My one of these is at the powdercoaters at the moment but it has worn a generic headset in the past.

The only thing I can imagine is that the powdercoating has added thickness, have you shaved it with a knife?

Re:

I have an RRS with the original headset so if there are any external measurements I could take that would help then let me know :)

Re:

Thanks for your help guys.

Not tried a knife, but given the shoulder for the crown race on the fork a quick rub with some fine emery cloth. The surface is sound. The internal of the head tube hasn't been touched by shot blasting, the surface is the same as it was believe it or not, they did a really good job of protecting all the open parts of the frame.

Will take the bike (currently bits of bike) to LBS next week and will see what they can do.

Will let you know how things go.

Re:

Raleigh crown race seats are often 27.0mm (JIS). A good bike shop can cut it down to 26.4mm.

The crown race WILL be 0.1-0.2mm smaller because it's an interference fit. That's why crown race setters weigh so much - you are stretching the race slightly as you pound it into place.

Re:

My NG frame number has 7 numbers after the NG. See my post today that has a picture of it when I rubbed it down for spraying. hope this is of assistance.
eejay oldvelo

Back