1983 Cleland Aventura

="firedfromthecircus"
I find when seated that the upright position is fantastic for being able to look around you. It is much more 'sightsee-ey' than the more normal stretched out mtb position. But that short wheelbase and upright position make it very easy to lift or unweight the front wheel. Handy on rough terrain. But the setup makes the most sense when stood on the pedals. You stand almost bolt upright in a very relaxed and natural position. The similaritys to a trials motorcycle riding position are deliberate. It is difficult to explain how this allows the bike to move around underneath you, but it feels very natural. Geoff also believes that this is a good position for spinal health.
Good to hear that you are enjoying riding the old bike. The riding experience of the Cleland is indeed unique, and well described above.

It's worth remembering that the Cleland's Motorbike Trials derived design owes nothing to the Californian 'mountain bikes'. In fact, Geoff first designed one of these bikes back in 1977, as an entry to a 'Bicycle of the Future' competition, long before he first heard of 'mountain bikes' in 1980. Due to his prior experience on 'Tracker' style bicycles and Trials Motorbikes, his bikes are very capable off road. And I still find it surprising that after all these years, that you still can't buy a bicycle that is so capable in the slippy, muddy and wet conditions, of the British Wintertime.

Despite the age of these bikes and that they are made from road bike tubing, they can still withstand being ridden hard. My 1983 and 1988 versions are still in regular use and I sometimes take them along on non-retro rides.

As the first 650b(27.5") wheeled off-road bikes to be produced, they are apparently now up to date. It's a lot easier to get suitable tyres these days. Back then there was only one make of fat 650b tyre, the Nokia Hakkapeliitta, imported from Finland by Apps. You can still buy these tyres, by today they are known as the Suomi 27.5" 584/54mm 62 Studded Tire.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191101199691? ... EBIDX%3AIT

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latest posts

Back