1982 Salsa Scoboni #5 "Restoration" *Final Photos Page 11*

Re: 1982 Salsa Scoboni #6 Build Restoration

Nice interesting project, cool yellow scheme but will also look nice when original resterend.

Unfortunately way too less of these era bikes are around in Europe.

Good luck with restauration.

Cheers,
Martin

theproscloset":14d02gz1 said:
I like hearing the feedback from you guys keep it coming.
I am a about keeping history with the any bike. I collect original paint vintage cars as well and would never reprint a classic that was dressed in original factory paint.
This bike does not have its original paint. It was repainted by terry the original owner. Once the original paint is gone I feel a bike is ok to repaint to original.
I have all the original parts to go with the bike so the integrity will be there.
Why do you feel it is not ok to repaint a repaint? Again, If this was og paint no question about it.

You said it yourself. "It was repainted by Terry the original owner". If this was a random Ala Carte with a boring PC shop job somewhere along the way, then I don't think it'd matter. But this is a more significant Salsa, the original owner being the guy responsible for one of the more iconic MTB logos ever. IIRC, he painted the bike that way pretty early on and there was a reason for it. He's put thousands of miles on that bike in that livery adding the patina. Line up the first six Salsas and you know in a second which one was Terrys.
Personally I think those things make it worth preserving.

Not that Joe Bell isn't great. Lots of Joe Bell painted bikes out there. Anyone can have that.

There is only one bike out there custom painted Terry Holben, the guy who penned the Salsa logo, and you're about to wipe that away.

Sorry man, I think its a big misstep.

I've always enjoyed your attitude and how you never get defensive and you are very open minded to opinion. Thank you for that. So. Here's what I think: I think that that particular bikes' history was established as that particular paint scheme. That paint scheme is unique and outstanding in my opinion. To make it some single, dark color - while original - renders it not unique and not very interesting. Those pictures really tell the story and without the story, it is just another perfect bike in a vast museum that doesn't stand out and doesn't look lively.

I completely understand and hear what you are saying. I get it. And I don't take any offense to any collector or another enthusiasts honest opinions , that's what makes this community go round. Everyone has their right to what inspires and gets them excited.

Personally I am very passionate about the history of our sport and bikes with historical significance. That is why I am listening closely to what you all have to say.

When the dust settles this bikes next chapter would be my personal rider but the paint is not my taste. The historical significance of this bike, for me, is the frame... The welds, the og builder. That's my personal opinion. With no disrespect to Terry or the bike....Terry is a great guy and I'm thankful to know him.

Eric, correct me if I'm wrong but Terry did not design the logo, Ross did. Terry was the printer for the early decals for salsa and other frame builders at the time... Fat chance, Ritchey etc

If anyone here is passionate about the history and preserving this paint than pm me. I would defer the project to someone else if they were passionate about this specific paint.

I'd be happy to be deferred to as well. It's a remarkable bike.

I have seen your Fat's, you like a little frame, This ones for big boys. :| :| :|

If you guys are referring to keyesville I can make sure this bike is loaded in the van if you want to check it out at keyesville.

Back