1982 Salsa Scoboni #5 "Restoration" *Final Photos Page 11*

Re: 1982 Salsa Scoboni #6 Build Restoration

girlonbike":25ejbm0d said:
And by restoration, what are you thinking of doing?

Getting it back to exactly how it looked the day it was born. Joe Bell will be painting it the OG BMW Metallic Grey and building it back to stock... head to toe. We have an original set of decals that was meant for the first 6.... one chance to get the decals right the first time!

You should reconsider repainting it. Seriously.

Back in 2008 I bought a Salsa stem/bars from him as well as some original early decals like the ones you posted. At the time he thought those were the only ones he had left. Looks like you got the rest.

salsa-ride1_zps6660cbaf.jpg

salsa-ride2_zps8ddf7d8c.jpg

salsa-ride3_zpse5fd0abd.jpg

salsa-ride4_zps26db3152.jpg

Thanks for sharing those pics Eric! Definitely going to paint it in Emron paint by one of the best in the biz. Personally I'm not into the yellow and since I am building it up to keep long term, paint it is. If it was original paint I would keep it but it's already been repainted. Going to restore it to do the pearl pass ride this year.

Please don't ruin it by doing a full restore, keep the history

Don't be that guy

Very lovely bike!
How come this was originaly grey and then painted yellow exactely like the one from Rumpfy?

I think that by "restoring" the salsa you loose on originality.

Clean up the bike, leave the paint original, and source the correct time period parts, but don't repaint it.

You gain nothing and loose everything.

Unless you just want shiny paint.

The bike is rad. We have one of the first six at our shop owned by bushpig, they are awesome.

Beware the tragedy of over-restoration. I have to agree that repainting is a big mistake.

Get rid of the DX replacement parts and make everything period correct, but that paint has a ton of history too (even if it isn't original) and bears all the battle scar patina that makes a vintage bike like that one really great.

I like hearing the feedback from you guys keep it coming.

I am all about keeping history with the any bike. I'm usually the one saying "don't repaint". I collect original paint vintage cars as well and would never reprint a classic that was dressed in original factory paint.

This bike does not have its original paint. It was repainted by terry the original owner. Once the original paint is gone I feel a bike is ok to repaint to original.

I have all the original parts to go with the bike so the integrity will be there.

Why do you feel it is not ok to repaint a repaint? Again, If this was og paint no question about it.

Back