1982 Raleigh Trail Rider

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Next up -

Raleigh Trail Rider 1982

Hadn't come across this blatantly Breezer-influenced bike before and wonder whether it was actually shown or sold in the UK/Europe, or limited to covering off the 'noise' created by early Joe Breeze frames on the west coast.

Interestingly, 1982 was the year the 'Raleigh USA' rights were bought by Huffy Corp, who were licensed to design and sell Raleigh in the USA with some production going to Bridgestone in Japan. It'd be interesting to track down a 1982 Huffy catalogue.

This was also the year that Raleigh in the UK launched the 'Burner' BMX, going on to sell 500,000 in the next 2 years, hence their lethargic approach to off road design in the UK?

Interesting comments from JB on the design here:

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1982_Ral ... Rider.html

Despite that, it's still the closest thing a mere mortal will get to an early Breezer, so I'm up for one, especially if built by Bridgestone!

Attachments

• Raleigh Trail Rider 1982.jpg
    Raleigh Trail Rider 1982.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,154
mrkawasaki":3r4zvuc5 said:
Next up -

Raleigh Trail Rider 1982

Hadn't come across this blatantly Breezer-influenced bike before and wonder whether it was actually shown or sold in the UK/Europe, or limited to covering off the 'noise' created by early Joe Breeze frames on the west coast.

Interestingly, 1982 was the year the 'Raleigh USA' rights were bought by Huffy Corp, who were licensed to design and sell Raleigh in the USA with some production going to Bridgestone in Japan. It'd be interesting to track down a 1982 Huffy catalogue.

This was also the year that Raleigh in the UK launched the 'Burner' BMX, going on to sell 500,000 in the next 2 years, hence their lethargic approach to off road design in the UK?

Interesting comments from JB on the design here:

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1982_Ral ... Rider.html

Despite that, it's still the closest thing a mere mortal will get to an early Breezer, so I'm up for one, especially if built by Bridgestone!

I remember when Huffy took over Raleigh in the U.S. they basically just funded the
operation..and left 'em alone..using improvements gleemed from Raleigh to improve
Huffy....A few years later...Huffy sold the rights off....

I'm not sure if any of the above,affected Raleigh UK...

Gratuitous shot I took of JB in his home workshop with #5 of the 10 Series one Breezers, formerly Wendy Cragg's bike- Now owned by Joe, in addition to #1-the blue one-which Joe is donating to the Smithsonian Museum right after the 35th Anniversary of Repack on Oct. 21st. He is gonna clean it up, then get some Repack dirt on it for the museum. Should be a fun ride! Interestingly, those Raleighs are inexpensive bikes-we are about to see what a Series 1 Breezer will bring when I help a friend sell his #6 next month-$$$$!

Attachments

• J1209x806-02140.jpg
    J1209x806-02140.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 1,074
mrkawasaki":1gd4n1gn said:
^ Should be an interesting sale for sure - will it hit the $12k Yeti C-26 mark I wonder...

It will go way past $12k for sure. My estimate is around double that amount.

Pat is also handling the sale of Otis Guy's Schwinn DX which took part in the original Repack gatherings. It will be interesting to see how much that one goes for too.

Si

Latest posts

Back