1982 Holdsworth Elan, part retro, part mod.

HoldsworthBen

Dirt Disciple
Hello there!,

Here is my 1982 Holdworth Elan. I was given the frame, forks, headset and BB by a friend of my Dads who had it from new. Not sure why but I ended up in his shed in bits and as a result has a few rusty spots.

After cleaning the frame up I set about building it up. Most of the bits are late '70s/'80 bits from E-bay but I had a few modern bits laying about which I used to get it together and to give it a few more gears uphill.

From looking at an old catalogue I found online the bike came originally with Campag 980 but after reserching this groupset people don't think much of it so i have gone for some higher spec parts.

Very pleased with how it has turned out. It may not be fully historically accurate but it rides fantastically!

Spec list:

Frame: 1982 Holdsworth Elan. Reynolds 531 frame and forks. Size 54 I think?
Cranks: SR Sakae with 39-50 chainrings
Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Front Deraileur: Campagnolo Victory
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo Super Record
Seatpost: SR Laprade Fluted
Stem: SR Sakae 80mm
Bars: SR Sakae Road Champion Alloy 38cm
Bar Tape: Cinelli cork
Wheels: Alex Rims 700c
Hubs: Shimano 105
Cassette: Shimano Tiagra (maybe) 10 speed
Brake Levers: Weismann
Tyres: Continental Gran Sport 700c x 23mm
Saddle: Specialized BG Toupe
Cables: Brown ones!
Bottom bracket: Shimano Un55
Headset: Tange
Pedals: not sure
Shifters: Campagnolo
Chain: SRAM PC-1071

Weight: 10.6kgs on luggage scales

Looks like a 23 or 24 inch frame as they didn’t make half sizes.
Always liked the look of the 980 front mech, which I still have on my Elan. Although I did change the rear mech for Super Record bitd.

Nice job, good to see an old frame being brought back to life and being used again. I like the Elan, it's one of the first bikes I restored when I got back into working on bikes and I intended to do exactly what you've done with what parts I had to hand as mine came as a bare frame but in the end I got a bit carried away.

There's two distinct frame types for the Elan which is mostly to do with different dropouts but I can't remember which is earlier and which is later.

Anyway here's mine, more mod than retro, I've always enjoyed riding it and have always been pleased with the way it came out even though the colour isn't quite right.

Attachments

• elanrb.jpg
    elanrb.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 819
Thanks Allenh. Great job on yours too. I like the colour!

Probably got a bit carried away on mine too with the spec but thought i would treat myself/the bike :)

I had a guess on the frame size as it feels a little smaller than my 2013 Trek but old frames arren't the same geometry. Thanks for the info.

on this website:https://www.nkilgariff.com/Models.htm it says that the 1982 model has adjustable dropouts which mine has and then the 1983 model was a different colour.

Thanks,
Ben

I am lucky to still be in possession of my 1980 or 81 Holdsworth Elan I purchased from new. It still has ALL the original parts (including bar tape and saddle) except tyres of course and is in great condition -just a few scratches and rust spots. It does have adjustable dropouts and 980 gears. I swapped and kept the original freewheel an Oro 14,15,16,18,20,22 six speed and chain set 52/42 170mm for a Shimano 7 speed 14-28 and reproduction Holdsworth 48/34 From planetx (inferior machining compared to the original) in order to get up the steep hills in Gloucestershire. It feels fantastic to ride but I miss the clicking sound and feel of the original freewheel.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a vintage freewheel that has 28T first gear I should try to get hold of?

Also any recommendations for tyres. The wheels are Gentleman 81 super champion. The local bike shop put on some Bontrager 700x25 that perform oK but look out of place on this pedigree racer.

Latest posts

Back