1980's British Eagle Madness

And ralgex

I like it. The bike that is, I tried one once but downhill on the brakes was terrifying.

Re:

I love it mate, my first bigbike was a b e volcanic, slighly later with sachs gears iscaselle loop saddle fluro yellow 501 frame with black forks, it was probably really cheap but opened the door to some real off roading back in 88/89, still have never seen another to this day,

raidan73":274vmplz said:
Is that what they would call a gravel grinder in modern parlance? I'm very confused by all these different bikes now!

Think this might be more monstershop than monstercross
You reallly do build a very nice bicycle LGF

Some photos of my mid 80s British Eagle MTB, as requested by legrandefromage in another thread. Not exactly pristine, but bar the addition of a mudguard, lights and reflectors and the odd replacement part, it's mostly original. It's lost it's LBGT pink colour scheme though, as the previous owner couldn't live with it. Remnants of the original colour can be spied near the rear dropouts.

The new colour isn't exactly inspiring, and may well be changed to something less dour, when I have another bike and time to allow a complete strip down. Was used by me regularly up till mid 90s, then spent the next 20 years languishing in the shed, before being brought back to life last year. Now getting plenty of regular use, and planning to do the Kennet & Avon towpath from Bath to Reading on it this summer.

Next job is new BBs and grease in the Deore beartrap pedals, as one roars a bit when spun and sounds dry. Everything else works well, and a problem I had after fitting new chain with pedals slipping forward on a couple of teeth in top gear seems to have almost resolved itself.

Back