198? Grisley Glacier Build thread

racecarjohnny

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Purchased this frame from a nice UK eBay seller. It’s unique, made in the USA, has Jeff Lindsay ties and looks fantastic in my eyes. Not sure of the year yet but know it’s from the 80s. The cast lugs and anodized paint job are really cool. The eBay seller had sold other Grisley frames to Peter Grisleys brother and I was able to speak with him about the history of the bike. He’s offered to put me in touch with Peter and I’m going to take him up on it. Have most of the parts on hand to build this and have ordered some others. Going to take my time on this one but it will be built as a rider. Parts on there now are just for testing.View attachment 758103
View attachment 758101View attachment 758102 View attachment 758104View attachment 758105

some info on dating

Looks to be in lovely condition

Hi,
I think there is still a lot of confusion when it comes to Grisley and how this is related to Reflex, Peugeot and Look or even BH.

My understanding is that the US guy Peter Grisley started in Salt Lake City / Utah end of 80ties his own business but soon worked for Easton or licensed his bike design to them for the Easton own brand Reflex. To my knowledge Reflex was started in 1988.
Later Easton has sold Reflex to Look.
Approx. 1992 Peter Grisley was hired from Cycleeurope group and has relocated to Spain where he has been the lead designer for Peugeot, BH Bikes and a few other brands.
Grisley Peter 1994-20.png
Some earlier Reflex und Look bikes had been sold also as Peugeot, e.g. the Team Line.
Please see the Grisley logo at an Peugeot Team Line
Screenshot_20220721-215851_Google.jpg

Than Cycleeurope group has re-establised approx. 1994 the brand "Grisley" and Grisley bikes had been produced according to a Spanish forum at BH in Vitoria / Spain.

Mid 90ties also the to me very ugly 🤮 Grisley Mega series with very oversized top tube going beyond the seat tube had been launched.
grisley-1.jpg

Till early 2000s the brand Grisley was kept by Cycleeurope group.

In any case, your Grisley is a very nice one.
It looks to me like the 1991 Reflex TWX Limited model
2.jpg
Do you know if the main tubes are Aluminium or Carbon? If the latter than it's rather like the Reflex model ACF from 1991.

He’s offered to put me in touch with Peter and I’m going to take him up on it.
Wow, please use the chance and learn a bit more from the astonishing work Peter Grisley has done.
Please verify the theory above and share more details.

Last edited:
That's a super clean example. Love the graphics/colour on that frame! 😍

However this image...
IMG_5271.jpg
...Just hurts my eyes! 😵‍💫 Too many tasty bikes in one photo. I just have no idea where to look!!! 😍:cool:💪👍

Back