1976 Schwinn Suburban

I'm taking that as a big complement @MattiThundrrr , yes @Guinessisgoodforyou it is largely a repaint. I'm going to say one of my more successful efforts (IMHO).

Try as I might, I've found it very difficult to achieve a finish as smooth as this one while I've worked on other DIY resprays but the paint used here was easier to work I think. I spent a bit on the rattle cans used though (glad I did) and sourced everything from Canadian Tire's automotive section. If memory services, a Dupli-Color metal-cast-anodized version was selected which requires a metallic undercoat before hand. It give a semi-transparent finish with a shine underneath which is quite lovely.

The paintwork had some pretty bad areas of missing paint and rust. If I was to tackle it today there may have been more of an effort to save the OG paint and see if touch ups would have sufficed. I did however save the original pinstriping on both fenders and the original blue paint between the fender outside edges and fender pin stripping, the area in the middle between pin strippings on the fenders is new paint. I used oil based Sharpie white paint pens to reinstate the chainguard and fork pin stripping. The Schwinn logo on the downtube is an original unpainted area with touch ups made before the whole bike was clearcoated. The Suburban decal was homemade in the last year or so using my vinyl cutter.

Serial number on headtube is EM540172

Did you repaint it? Feel free to post it here it will fit right in.
Thanks for pointing out this thread, I will make a post here for sure and looking forward to discovering some great bikes 😁

I did however save the original pinstriping on both fenders and the original blue paint between the fender outside edges and fender pin stripping, the area in the middle between pin strippings on the fenders is new paint
Your selective application was another reason I thought it was original paint. There is a little blemish on the fender, which I didn't want to point out, that indicated originality. Very sneaky

Last edited:
Back