1973 Carlton Continental restoration complete, new pics - p4

Re: A new project - 1973 Carlton Continental restoration

Spokesmann":27jlvx4n said:
otherself":27jlvx4n said:
Lovely colour and wrapover SS. Is it 531?

No, nothing special - TI Tru-Wel I would think. :D

Hmmm. My '68 Continental is 531 DB throughout. I wonder what made them choose Hi-Ten some years later. Maybe marketed towards the recreational rider?

Just cheaper to reach a certain price point I would think, this model by 1973 was the entry level Carlton.

Carlton recycled names including Continental, Raleigh did the same with Road Ace and Gran Sport. The worst offender reusing names for different bikes and frames was Falcon who used San Remo for years !

Shaun

Midlife":qrp7rvy3 said:
Carlton recycled names including Continental, Raleigh did the same with Road Ace and Gran Sport. The worst offender reusing names for different bikes and frames was Falcon who used San Remo for years !

Shaun

Yes, earlier Continental were a little more hi specced. This, as I said was the entry level Carlton back in the early 70s. Classy none the less though.

Re:

A day off today meant I was able to get on with sorting the stuck cotter on the drive side. This turned out to be really jammed tight and I mean tight, bigger hammers and drifts made no impact. In the end I resorted to cutting what was left of the threaded shank off and then drilling out the inner part. After much swearing, drilling and banging the remains of the cotter finally dropped out. Whilst taking break from the cursing I was able to get on with degreasing, cleaning and giving many the components an initial polishing. The grime on the machine has protected the items quite well. I'm very pleased with the Svelto rear mech and the Weinmann 730s.

The Wrights W3N saddle is responding well to daily doses of Proofide and the frame has had an initial degrease and wipe down. I'll give it a light application of T-cut in places.

I'm fitting new cables, brake blocks, outer cables where needed and a new front mudflap. Ive decided to replace the headset collar nut and front lamp bracket as these were quite pitted.

Still much to do but the machine is looking better for it. More soon.

P4021316_zpsrbfdi2ie.jpg

The source of much swearing...

P4021312_zpszjrgeayz.jpg

P4021306_zpsyopl5jfw.jpg

P4021301_zpsswmb2jwf.jpg

P4021296_zps460qzgcp.jpg

P4021321_zpsic52jhaz.jpg

P4021326_zpsaeqq3ofm.jpg

P4021324_zpsy5f8qelb.jpg

Made a little progress today, refitted forks with new grease, fitted rear mech and sorted some new ribbed cable. Fitted new mud flap after cutting the old cracked one away. Made a start on degreasing and cleaning the rat trap pedals. One minor problem is the BB spindle, after regreasing and fitting I find the new chainwheel won't fit on, so Ive ordered a 138mm BB spindle to give the extra space/clearance I need. Made a start on degreasing the large flange Normandy hubs. Still waiting for a few spares to arrive. Apart from toe clips, a Carradice Barley saddle bag, everything else will be as it was on this bike when it first left Worksop back in 1973.

P4031332_zpsfktdvuc6.jpg

P4031333_zpshkcfqdo9.jpg

P4031336_zpsyhzwhaae.jpg

Just curious where you ordered the new spindle from?

Yep, those Raleigh spanners. They came in a bag attached under the saddle along with the owners manual. They were fair game for kids coming into the shop nicking things!

Shaun

Back