1970's Weight Weenie, Various Parts And Weights.

Blackbike

Retro Guru
Thoughts on differences on cups and weight.

The taller set of cups are SR Royal, The shorter set of cups are Campagnolo Record "thin". If the bottom bracket threads are in question on a frame the extra length might help with keeping a frame on the road, as the SR Royal cups are viewd as inchangable with Campagnolo thin cups

The SR Royal cups are a bit of a brick at 91 grams for the set

The Campagnolo Record thin cups are 20 grams lighter at 71 grams for the set.

The Campagnolo Nuevo Record thick cups are 17 grams heavier than the thin cups at 88 grams for the set, but still 3 grams lighter than the SR Royal cups.

A steel Campagnolo lockring weighs 12 grams.

A generic aluminum lockring weighs 5 grams, 7 grams lighter than the Campagnolo lockring.

A hollow SR Royal 112mm spindle (interchangeable with Campagnolo 68-SS-120) weighs 141 grams.

A hollow Campagnolo Nuevo Record 109mm spindle weighs 137 grams.

A 1975 Teledyne titanium 112mm spindle weighs 86 grams.

This is about as light as I could build my 1975 era correct weight weenie bottom bracket, without using aluminum cups, at 203 grams. Built with thin Record cups, aluminum lockring, Teledyne titanium spindle, 10 ball phenolic race Campagnolo bearings, titanium bolts, and hardened stainless steel washers. I started to build this with a SR Royal bottom bracket and used none of the SR Royal parts, :roll:

Best Wishes: Mike (edit to change title)

Re: 1970's Weight Weenie, Bottom Bracket Parts And Weights.

Thanks for the post. Never thought about mixing and matching BB componants before. Whats the details of the rest of the build?

Re: 1970's Weight Weenie, Bottom Bracket Parts And Weights.

Blacktopdisciple":1fn8f3e7 said:
Thanks for the post. Never thought about mixing and matching BB components before. Whats the details of the rest of the build?

Hi Blacktopdisciple,
A brief description of the bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, period weight weenie, a club racer with a variety of kit from everybody. The next project up on this thread is trimming the fat off and a bit of home tuning on a 1977 Modolo Professional brake set.

More To Follow: Mike

Back