1970's Atala

Don't know if the tubes are double butted but measured the seatpost to be 26.8mm using calipers. Don't know if this helps someone to judge the grade of the tubes. I tried searching the net for Tuppio tubing from Padova, Italy and there's pretty much zilch info. Dropouts are all Campagnolo.
Cleaned up the surface rust on the hubs today and they are stamped Atala on them - regreased the front hub and scraped off all the handbrushed paint on the brake levers. Now just waiting for bar tape, some old school look metal coil brake and gear cables and a 3 notch bb tool to remove the drive side bb cup. Choosing some tubulars to finish her off will come last.

Attachments

• seattube.jpg
    seattube.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,132
  • cruddybb.jpg
    cruddybb.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,132
  • rims.jpg
    rims.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,132
  • fronthub.jpg
    fronthub.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,132
Tuppio tubing from Padova,
Ah...there you go, man! Those ain't 'P's- thet are 'L's. Look at those 'Bapippa' brake calipers... :)

26.8mm suggests a pretty light tubeset. Certainly not 'gaspipe'.... not that I thought it was, with Campag. dropouts and all, but the measurement is confirmation. Thanks.

Doooh!!!! Ha you're right I don't know my ABC's!!! :facepalm: Yip it is in fact Tullio Tubing. It was Atala's in house tubing used predominately for their low to mid range frames. Judging from the info it was straight hi tensile steel set although my frame does feel reasonable weight wise. The 3 arm cranks on the other hand weighs like an anchor. Well it isn't a Columbus SLX high end classic but I still like it alot.

Nothing wrong with that- chances are it'll still be going strong when all that SLX is rusted through.
Yeah the outer ring on that chainset looks like it could lose half it's 'meat' without mishap. Frame is probably nice enough to carry Gransport, at least....but some of those existing components have their own nice vibe, too. I could live without the budget Campag. mechs, though... What I mean is, this bike was obviously manufactured to a price-point, but on the evidence it's more the drive-train than the frame that was compromised to get it there.

Its a very pleasant topic all round ;) its just what i joined retro bike for ... well not really i joined to vote for rbotm :oops: .
I expect every decal is going to have to be artwork then custom vynil ?
what could you get the wheels re spoked for with db s steel down there ?
up here my mate reckons £30 a wheel is that good ? does any one know.

30 quid for respoking a wheel I think is pretty reasonable considering the cheapest I've had here was $90 (about 45-50 quid) to do a wheel - other places charge $120+. I'm going to keep it as is and the scratched up decals and paint are growing on me. It's never going to be be a garage queen bike. You should look at my mountain bike collection every one is covered in specks of mud!!

Attachments

• atomfreewheel.jpg
    atomfreewheel.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,090
It has charm.
It has character.
look forward to seeing it finished and all the chrome and alloy cleaned.

Finally completed the bike. I hadn't tightened the rear brake cable clamp on the frame properly and in the pics it's abit sideways. Sorry for my lack of attention as I was trying take the pics as quick as possible to get out of the sun - opposite to UK here (too hot!!!). Finishing touches included Velo Orange bottle cages, stainless brake/gear outer cables and bottle bar clamp, Vittoria wider sized 25 Rally tubulars and Cateye black cloth bar tape.

Attachments

• Atala crank.jpg
    Atala crank.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 993
  • atala handlebars.jpg
    atala handlebars.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 993
  • atala_gear.jpg
    atala_gear.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 992
  • atala left.jpg
    atala left.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 992
  • Atala right.jpg
    Atala right.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 992
  • atala road.jpg
    atala road.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 992
  • atala 34.jpg
    atala 34.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 992
Great looking bike. The only thing I would do is swap out that old steel crankset for something a little lighter, but otherwise I love it.

Back