1970 Pat Hanlon - 700c wheels and AK brakes? Now with pics.

Wheelnut

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've just acquired a rather tatty Pat Hanlon that I somewhat reluctantly took in part exchange for a 1950s bike I was selling. Reluctant only in the sense that I am trying to reduce my collection of 20-plus bikes! On closer examination, however, the Hanlon appears to have great potential.

It is currently equipped with a mismatch of fairly modern Shimano/Campag equipment (7 speed handlebar shifters) with mismatched 700c wheels and Cinelli bars and stem. Also, it has been refinished at some point in its life in a fetching shade of metallic dark pink, now looking very much the worse for wear.

Looking at the style of frame with Italian long point lugs, fastback stays, Campag semi vertical dropouts, Allen key brake recesses and internal brake cable routing led me to think it was probably early 1980s (Hanlon ceased trading in about 1983.)

However, the frame number 150070 suggests that it was built in 1970 (info from Bryan Clarkes piece on Pat Hanlon in Classic Lightweights) and the the bloke who I got it from said that he had been told that it was built by Vic Edwards, which seems very likely from the research carried out so far. Also, aspects of the build including the fastback stays and details on the front forks are similar to other Vic Edwards-built Pat Hanlons of this era.

With limited knowledge of 1970s bikes (1950s bikes are more my thing), am I correct in thinking that the brake bridges were probably modified later for Allen key fitting, such as when the frame was refinished. And what about the internal cable routing? Is 1970 a bit early for that? Also, should I be using 700c or 27in wheels if I were to carry out a period correct restoration? I seem to recall we were using 27s at that time.

If it is indeed a 1970 frame, I will be using Campag NR gears with TA chainset and probably Universal 68 or Weinmann 500 brakes. I have a choice of 27in or 700c wheels to use, Campag hubs with Mavic polished alloy rims. Or perhaps I could build it as a 5-speed time-trial machine. In fact it does look a lot like Tim Dobson's Pat Hanlon (with frame built by Vic Edwards) on which he became the first to break 21 minutes for a 10 mile time trial. Don't think I'm likely to beat that though...

I should be able to upload some pictures soon, but need to reduce the file size first.

Re: 1970 Pat Hanlon - 700c wheels and Allen key brakes, or not.

I think 1970 is to early for AK brakes and internal routing. I reckon it's been modified when resprayed which was quite a common thing to do. I've drilled out bridges and fork crowns on later dated frames to take them. This was before I realised the 'damage' I was doing! Sprints and tubs are 700c which is what it would have been raced on and these were also used for day-to-day riding back then as well with heavier 'training' tubulars. Will it actually take 27" wheels and tyres? There weren't many (if any) small section 27" high pressures then and it was the late 70's when 700c 'clinchers' (hate that term!) became common.

Looking forward to the photos!

Re:

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_0909.JPG
    IMG_0909.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 194
Re:

And a few more pics.

The carefully filed v-shape tip at the lower end of the fork blade seems to be a Vic Edwards feature.

I agree that it was probably modified to take allen key brakes at the time of the repaint. Quite likely the internal cable guides were added at that time also, although I have seen these on much earlier frames as original features, so not entirely sure about that.

It's a bit ratty at the moment, but deserving of a sympathetic rebuild and repaint, I feel.

Attachments

• IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0917.JPG
    IMG_0917.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0911.JPG
    IMG_0911.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 187
Re: 1970 Pat Hanlon - 700c wheels and Allen key brakes, or not.

Looks like a 70's frame with internal routing, brazed on front mech etc added later. Are there two small portacatena holes on the rear dropout or are they long items?

Re:

Dropouts are Campag, short and almost vertical, not the usual semi- horizontal type.

The frame number makes it 1970.

I have fitted a pair of Mavic Module 2/Campag SF 700c wheels (as shown in the pics) which seem to look right, so it was probably built for sprints. I think 27s might be a bit tight, although only 4mm larger in radius.

Back