For Sale 1969/70 ellis briggs tourer NO LONGER FOR SALE

half cog

Senior Retro Guru
This frame and forks were built at the very end of 1969 for a chap who kept it right up to a couple of years ago. It was built as a normal road bike but at some point in time he decided to make a light tourer of it.All the braze ons you could require were added.There are canti bosses and front and rear rack fixings.The frame was then finished in a beautiful ruby red flam with silver details and lug lining. I am only the second owner of this and bought it for the same reason we all buy bikes. Gotta have it!!!. I built it up and its been at the back of the garage ever since. Time to be realistic. Im an old bloke. Touring is not going to happen. So it needs someone to use it for more than an odd half hour.The frame is reynolds 531 butted.The wheels are Mavic MA40 rims with shimano deore lx hubs 36/36.Hub bearing races are perfect and have fresh grease.The rim brake tracks are 1.5mm front and 1.3mm back so plenty of miles left in those.Tyres are panarace pasela PT 700 x 25c. Lx rear mech and a tiagre front with stronglight triple touring chainset. I made up the mounts for the barcons to put them near the brakes . You can of course allways move them back to the ends of the bars if preferred. Will include a couple of meters of matching outer to allow for it. The canti brakes are excellent. It currently has wellgo spd pedals but will swap for a set of basic shimano .In one of the photos it has a velo saddle and that is the one it will come with.If you are setting off big time I would go for a brooks.The paintwork is very good with just the odd small marks. its a lovely thing ( its why I bought it )Looking for £400.00 for it.Am happy to box it down for a carrier. Carriage at buyers expense.If you want it then make contact and we can sort something out

Attachments

• briggs  right R.JPG
    briggs right R.JPG
    399.5 KB · Views: 127
  • briggs left R.JPG
    briggs left R.JPG
    405.5 KB · Views: 123
  • brigs front left R.JPG
    brigs front left R.JPG
    418.8 KB · Views: 110
  • briggs  front R.JPG
    briggs front R.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 107
  • briggs  back right R.JPG
    briggs back right R.JPG
    458.2 KB · Views: 136
Beautiful bike

I think a lot of us will be wondering how you made the barcon adaptors yourself, that’s a great homemade hack if I ever seen one, definitely the best DIY option I have seen.

Keep rolling

Smigg

Ahh. What you really need to ask is how much will carriage cost.The barcon adaptors are easy.I had a set of spinachi bars.Pretty pointless things to be honest.However I realised that they have other uses..Take the expanders off the barcons.Cut a short length from the straight section of the spinachi bars that will take the barcon at one end and fasten it in with the barcon expander bolt from the other end.Fit the spinachi bar mounts to the drop bars under the brake levers.Pop the barcon into the place that the spinachi bars normally fit.Job done. You can alter the angle and height of the shifters by adjusting the spinachi mounts. I did think it could probably be improved somewhat by fitting v brake noodles to the bar cons to ease the angle the cable comes out but they work without. There you are sir. All you need now is a touring bike

Fantastic workmanship!

Got a touristique and a galaxy with barcons and some sun tour command shifters sitting around hahaha but I love what you done here

Good luck with the sale good Sir! It’ll surely go

Keep rolling

Smigg

Some more measurements that you may find of use
NOSE of saddle to bar centre 52cm
Back of saddle to bar centre 78cm
b/b centre to saddle top as fitted 74cm
amount of seat post free to adjust down 10cm
standover 81.5 cm
stem reach 10cm
Bar height from floor 94cm
Top tube c-c 56cm

Last edited:
Thank you.If no one takes it it will be used probably no more than a few times a year which is sad for something like this.It needs to head off into the great unknown. We will see what happens

Now looking at parting it or keeping it as a wall hanging.Frame and forks with stronglight headset and cable hanger £275.00 plus postage. They have to go first as I can use some of the bits but not the other way around.Will let it run for a week or so then if no joy will close it down. Thanks for all the replies so far
Peter

Back