1966 Claud Butler specifications.

Evets

Retro Newbie
Can any of you knowledgeable people tell me if the 1966 road bikes used different frames or a common frame with different equipment? I have been looking for a specific model without success so I'm now considering if I can source the period parts to build a replica of a bike I owned in my teens.

Once again thanks for the link, I have now found the previous catalogues. I already have a copy of the 1966 catalogue, however as far as I can see it doesn't answer my question as I can see no detailed frame specifications. If I'm missing something please point me in the right direction.

Back in those days you could buy bikes and frames separately. The frames could be tinkered with. I seem to recall a sales tax thing where bikes had a sales tax where frames and components didn't...... So quite a few frames sold and bits swapped about.

Pics would help :)

That's why I'm happy to build up a bike using period items. The question remains however, are all the frames from thay year the same, if not where can I find the frame specs to start off with a correct base.

That's why I'm happy to build up a bike using period items. The question remains however, are all the frames from thay year the same, if not where can I find the frame specs to start off with a correct base.
Hello @Evets yes, they are (almost) all different except some have bigger differences than others;
The two at the bottom of the range the Spectra & the Electron Super Five were this year the same frame I think, the Super 5 gets 531 front forks later in its life. These two & I think even the Super Courier got downgraded to a generic “quality steel” tubing.
The rest of the line-up got Reynolds 531 tubing and various different braze-on details & drop outs etc. And of course the track model (Olympic) was a completely different beast with much tighter geometry and clearances.
The two fine models were the top of the range “Cordon Bleu” & “Torino” both being 531 double butted throughout. Both are exquisite machines and head & shoulders above the rest of the Claud branded Holdsworth models.
For frame specs you might have to look through the rest of my catalogues to glean what you need as some years the info was a bit sparse.
Do you know what frame you have or are you looking for one?

Thanks for that very informative reply, although I did believe the Super European was 531 tubing and the same frame geometry as the Torino and Cordon Bleu. At the time it was the most expensive of the 1965 range. I gleaned this information from the brochures of 1964 through to 1967.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231117-214330.png
    Screenshot_20231117-214330.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for that very informative reply, although I did believe the Super European was 531 tubing and the same frame geometry as the Torino and Cordon Bleu. At the time it was the most expensive of the 1965 range. I gleaned this information from the brochures of 1964 through to 1967.
Yes the catalogue clearly states it’s 531. As I said above the rest of the line up was 531. 🤷🏻‍♂️
However it wasn’t double butted, as the Cordon Bleu & the Torino were, these were lighter and superior frames.
If you look at the price listings that we managed to find and have posted on the Nkilgarif website you will see that in 1968 the Cordon Bleu is priced as a complete machine and is, of course more expensive than the Super European.

Back