1957 LADIES CARLTON FLYER (NOW SOLD PENDING PAYMENT )

half cog

Senior Retro Guru
My daughter aquired this for me as she had heard the name Carlton and thought i might be interested in it. It appears to be totally original. I cant see anything that has been altered since the day it left carlton works 54 years ago. I dont know if the octopus panniers are original and if someone knows I would like to hear from them.The Flyer was Carltons top model and was made up to order and the Carlton flyer special lugs were only made in 57.Some may have been used up to the early part of 58 to use stock up but that is as far as it went.These are one of the main references for dating this model as Carlton were known to have used the same frame number pre fix for most of the fifties. The frame is 531 butted with beautiful slender rear stays and is chromium plate beneath the paint. it must be said that some of the chrome has seen better days and areas of paint need sorting but this should be expected at this age. There is the lightest speckle of rust to some of the steel components but it seems to polish of with a good clean up. The dynamo works as does the 4 speed sturmey and all the bearings run smooth. The tyres and tubes have had it though and need dumping. There is a beautiful williams chainset with 1/8 teeth and slender fluted cranks running on what I think is the original Bayliss Wiley b/b The front hub is a hb airlight. it is running steel rims. dynamo is Lucas cd36 ( may not be original spec ) The saddle is a brooks B66. it has a mark accros the middle about half way along that looks like it has been there for a very long time. The seat tube is 23" c to top. I do not want to split this as I feel it is rare to find a bike in such an original condition and really want to hand it on to someone to restore. Am looking for 250 pounds for it. I would rather it was collected but could pack it down for your carrier if need be. Thanks for looking
Regards
Peter

Attachments

• carlton  without  panniers.JPG
    carlton without panniers.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 547
  • carlton  plus  panniers.JPG
    carlton plus panniers.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 547
  • carlton  front  end.JPG
    carlton front end.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 547
Ooooof that is tempting for the Mrs... need to debate whether it's worth spending that kind of money on something that will no doubt not be used as often as I'd like it to be!

carlton

I got blown away when I first got this.If this had been a gents there is no way on earth it would be offered for sale. I am told the lady my daughter bought it from is in her 80s and bought it new in the fifties.If this isnt what retro bike is all about then I dont know what is. As regards getting the use out of it its just such a fantastic thing to own that I think usage comes second. Some chap out there must have a similar gents and this would make up a great pair of bikes for rides in the summer. as they say. when its gone its gone
Regards
Peter

I'll take her please

Hi there Peter,

I would like her if possible, but what will the postage be?

Regards,

Toby

Back