1950 Humber 4 Speed Royal Elf? - Resto Project - SOLD

PeterPerfect

Senior Retro Guru
Now advertised on ebay

1950 Humber 4 Speed Royal Elf? - Restoration Project.

I've got a 1950 Humber to sale or swap for a restoration project more akin to my normal era.

I'm looking for something late 70's or early 80's. Steel frame only. Preferably Reynolds 531. Must be a mens' frame and complete. Not particularly worried about the paint. Would prefer head badge to substantiate the history. 700c wheels only. The rarer the better. 54 cm - 58 cm frame. I'd take a good quality Raleigh or Dawes tourer with old Campagnolo. WHY.

The Humber is in very good condition. This is the model that came with the stainless steel Dunlop wheels. Very desirable. There is a broken spoke in the front wheel. The gear joint cable is broken and needs replacing but my LBS has checked the movement of the rear hub so we know that is fine. In fact he commented on how freely it moves. In deep Royal Blue with original mudguards. Still has the Dyno/capacitor on the frame. Matching front light is fully intact. Chain guard has no corrosion which is rare in itself as these tended to rot like a pear. 22/23 inch frame. This is 100% original. The pedals are the only thing that is missing but the threads have been checked and they receive pedals. I have purchased 2 new Raleigh tyres 26 x 1 3/8 which have been fitted with 2 new raleigh inner tubes as it had none at all. Comes with the original Brooks B66 which is in fantastic condition.

The BB moves freely as does the headset. I've checked the stem and the seat post and they both release and move freely.

A major attraction to this bike is it has the original key in the locking forks. To find one with the key is not common at all but for it to be the right key and work; I've seen a lot of these but not in this state. The frame has very nice paintwork and still carries the head badge.

I'm in Stroud Gloucestershire so would look for some one fairly local as I don't want a marathon drive.

I'll only send photo's to serious enquiries when I know what you have to swap.

One of these in a similar condition sold for £460 on the dreaded bay last April. Personally I think whoever bought that paid far too much for it. I think in it's present condition it should sell for around £150. Mine is in about the same condition as the ebay bike!

Any one out there as bonkers as me that likes bringing these old bikes back to life?

£119

Attachments

• DSCN0739 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0739 (Medium).JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 735
  • DSCN0740 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0740 (Medium).JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 735
  • DSCN0741 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0741 (Medium).JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 735
  • DSCN0742 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0742 (Medium).JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 736
  • DSCN0743 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0743 (Medium).JPG
    137 KB · Views: 736
Re: 1950 Humber 4 Speed Royal Elf? - Resto Project - SALE/SW

It's very much like this but without the rod brakes. Due to work commitments I can't get any photos of it on here until tomorrow

Re: 1950 Humber 4 Speed Royal Elf? - Resto Project - SALE/SW

Not just you, I'm bonkers as well and bring the dead back to life :LOL:

Re: 1950 Humber 4 Speed Royal Elf? - Resto Project - SALE

I like what you've done to yours and to be honest it looks even better without the chain guard

PeterPerfect":34j4zk7h said:
I like what you've done to yours and to be honest it looks even better without the chain guard

It seemed a shame to have such a nice chainring hidden away, and if you oil the chain regularly it makes no difference :)

Good luck with your sale, that will make a great project.

Will take £130 for the Humber. I think it will make a very rewarding and worthwhile project.

Polish that headbadge and you should find the top part reads " By Appointment to His Majesty the King. "

Fabulous bike.

Back