1939 Claud Butler Ultra Shortbase Tandem

Retro Spud":2yxzn592 said:
sherlylock":2yxzn592 said:
Retro Spud":2yxzn592 said:
Impressive deconstruction... (forensic Pathology)
Surprised at how many bits that cable broke down into. Just need to try and find some suitable replacement and then have a crack at silver soldering!

Have you tried Venhill - they stock a lot of parts like these https://www.venhill.co.uk/cables-and-components.html

Oooo......good link, thanks for that. After a measure up it turns out the 2 cables from the splitter are a smaller dia to the main cable into it.....but only by a small amount which seems odd - not sure why it was done like that. Looks like I should be able to order appropriate cabling from that site though - thanks!

I read a comment on classiclightweights that Resilion cantilevers had the same profile as more modern v-brake inserts......so I bought some.

ayIxSELh.jpg

They fit ok - are slightly shorter and have less "meat" on them than the originals but are new and not hard and brittle like the fibrax inserts that came with my brakes. They're a good starting point on the journey to getting the brakes working again......

QTjju9rh.jpg

Spotted a nice advert for Resilion brakes that someone posted on facebook recently. Jack looks happy with the brakes on the tandem......Jill not so much.

NYhEnRbh.jpg

Started cleaning up the frame corrosion - lots and lots of little blisters in the nickel plating. Using a fairly gentle wire brush on a drill then some wet and dry I've started removing the blisters whilst trying to preserve as much of the nickel plating as possible. It's done a damn fine job of protecting the frame for 81 years so be nice to leave it in place where I can.

JuVUORuh.jpg

Worst bit is on the "drainpipe" tube at the bottom of the frame......

JWt7cKuh.jpg

Loving the lugs on this.......

p66E6ygh.jpg

The rear bottom bracket casting with the thin section to allow the rear wheel and crank to overlap is a really lovely thing.....

gPxrDtVh.jpg

Not sure where I'm going with the frame resto yet......it might be that I rub it back enough to remove the corrosion and then overpaint and try to replicate the original green flamboyant paint job.....masking off the chrome dropouts and fork crown as they're quite reasonable. Depends how good I can make the "patina" look......

You need to polish the corroded steel where the nickel plating has gone, then when you spray over it will hardly notice.. you might have already got your head around this, so sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs..... :roll:

last time I did this (pre-membership of RetroBike) I first treated the corroded areas with a rust treatment, I would now recommend Evaporust, then scrubb the areas with a green washing up souring sponge (less aggressive than Scotch pads) using MAAS concentrated metal polish, then again with a soft cloth to put some shine into the bare steel..
Beauty of this is the MAAS will protect the raw steel for months (if it takes you that long to do the whole thing), then when you're ready to spray, a couple of good rub downs with an appropriate spirit,thinners or petrol, then a final wipe with alcohol and you're ready to spray on a candy/flamboyant/translucent paint of your choice... it will look the nuts :xmas-big-grin:

Peachy!":207v256s said:
You need to polish the corroded steel where the nickel plating has gone, then when you spray over it will hardly notice.. you might have already got your head around this, so sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs..... :roll:

last time I did this (pre-membership of RetroBike) I first treated the corroded areas with a rust treatment, I would now recommend Evaporust, then scrubb the areas with a green washing up souring sponge (less aggressive than Scotch pads) using MAAS concentrated metal polish, then again with a soft cloth to put some shine into the bare steel..
Beauty of this is the MAAS will protect the raw steel for months (if it takes you that long to do the whole thing), then when you're ready to spray, a couple of good rub downs with an appropriate spirit,thinners or petrol, then a final wipe with alcohol and you're ready to spray on a candy/flamboyant/translucent paint of your choice... it will look the nuts :xmas-big-grin:
No teaching of egg sucking there Peachy - top tips - in fact its conformation of what I had in mind but wasn't sure whether it was a suitable way around the problem of part nickel plated/part corroded frame. I'm impressed at how smooth it is possible to make the corroded parts - the main lower tube that is really bad has cleaned up nicely and I reckon it'd paint up without too much filling and priming. The nickel plating really has done it's job......for an 81 year old frame which no longer has the original paint on it its remarkably sound!

I've got a spray gun and access to a suitable air line at work so I reckon an etch primer/filler primer/silver/tinted lacquer/decals and final top lacquer coat is on the cards (plenty of rubbing down in between)......haven't sprayed anything for a while but I'm sure the knack will return!?

Re: Re:

dan73uk":1rf1n23i said:
Was there much fettling to the new brake pads to make them fit?

Nope - the new pads pushed in as if they were designed to fit. They are just marginally short for the holder...

I haven't (can't) set them up yet and test them but it looks like they should be OK. Will obviously report back as and when I have a new cable made up and and get a functioning brake.

LUYt969h.jpg

What tyres are you planning on using?

Peachy!":2m9xh6kq said:

Not a clue as yet - haven't really thought that far ahead. They're 26" wheels so I'm assuming they will be a fairly common size. Will check the size later and have a browse on't internet later.

sherlylock":2dy1begu said:
Peachy!":2dy1begu said:

Not a clue as yet - haven't really thought that far ahead. They're 26" wheels so I'm assuming they will be a fairly common size. Will check the size later and have a browse on't internet later.

So - 26 x 1 1/4 (32-597).

Turns out I have a huge choice of either Schwalbe HS130 (same as the rear tyre currently on the bike) or Kendas.

I'll be buying one Schwalbe then!

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/schwa ... nch-32597/

Back