• 100% Bells & Whistles Restoration

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • History preserving Retro-Mod

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

Sand_Dune":3qkdd4wa said:
Retro-Mod for me....if this means it will get used more then this has to be the best.

Don't get me wrong, if you went with the full monty respray & rebuild...and used it equally as much then fair enough.

Passing it on to a third party? Naaaah. It's found it's home already.

Sand_Dune

It does look like it’s heading that way, & I can of course give it the full monty refurb when Jim has out grown it.

As for modern kit, I am of course referring to modern for me, so 90’s & 00’s. Oh and definitely Japanese.... goes without saying on such an American frame!

Re: What to do with the Stars & Stripes Claud Butler 1949 Path

3: for me as well.
It's found it's forever home with the rest of the Claud gang ;)

Jamie

You're right not to get too hung up about the number on the forks.

Don't forget, we're talking about an era when everything that could be used was used. I restored a 1962 Condor and thought the forks were a bad marriage with the frame.

Turns out that the supplier for the forks went bust so they bought all the stock and used them up over the years so the frames weren't produced when the forks were.

Doesn't mean they weren't intended to go together.

Re:

Am I being completely crazy if I say, get it clear coated as is, will stabilise the paint as is :?: :facepalm:

kermitgreenkona88":3l7s9qjj said:
Am I being completely crazy if I say, get it clear coated as is, will stabilise the paint as is :?: :facepalm:

No. You're spot on.

Eliminating the existing rust will aid the finish of the clear coat. Might as well get it as nice as you can before it's done.

I think that is what the OP is doing.

Re:

Adding to the above a Dangerous bonkers idea! many years ago I purchased a garage find car, the paint was covered in micro blisters & generally orange with rust seapage. I tryed polish, didn't work. In the end I coated the paint work in de-scaling acid (a motor trade favoite for alloy wheels) I left it a while & when I rinsed it off all the orange was gone a coat of clear coat would have probably kept it stable,

Re:

Neither options apply in my mind.

This is the kind of bike that requires nothing more than a gentle clean and hung up in a bike cafe for everyone to admire. The patina underlines it's age. It's
the kind of bike you look at and
realise where today's modern bikes get there roots from.

Cheers guys,
I wasn’t expecting such an overwhelming response for Jimmy’s plan so quickly…. But anything that an eleven-year-old gets enthused about, (that doesn’t involve downloading) should be supported I think, so I’ve just popped into the Claud cave to see what’s in the “to be e-bayed” crate and I think I’m pretty much sorted with basically, a shed load of 90’s Shimano, low level Exage stuff but it will still do the job for the lad;

Shimano Twin ring Crank set, Bottom Bracket, pedals, rear derailleur, front derailleur, shifters, brake levers, quick release hubs and 6 speed Cassette.
Mavic rims
Cinnelli Bars & stem.

Oh & yes, once I have eliminated the rust (see other thread) viewtopic.php?f=12&t=385380 I will apply a descent layer of 2pac with my own fair hand.

Of course if anyone wants to PM me for the frame set before I lay down the clear coat, then I am open to high offers. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• MavicShimano.jpeg
    MavicShimano.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 381
  • Cinelli.jpeg
    Cinelli.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 381
  • ShimanoExage.jpeg
    ShimanoExage.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 381
Re:

Mmmh. Agree that motivating a lad is all good, but is a 50s unique bike really really needed for that?

I've just spent the most part of the day looking at S/H bikes and seen RSX and Exage gruppos on bikes going for 40 - 50 Euro.

As a side note, as a kid I wanted a Raleigh winner because the foam grips looked ace. Instead I got
a Pugeot and a Pugeot jersey that was fab.

Of course, your choice and just my opinion/view.

Woz":y111c5x5 said:
Neither options apply in my mind.

This is the kind of bike that requires nothing more than a gentle clean and hung up in a bike cafe for everyone to admire. The patina underlines it's age. It's
the kind of bike you look at and
realise where today's modern bikes get there roots from.

I understand your sentiment, and I promise I’m not making any decisions rashly. But...
The cafe idea is ok, but all my Velo friends that take their exercise and competition side of our hobby very seriously, on their very expensive and featherweight rides wouldn’t look at this frame twice, in fact I know some that would paint it yellow & blue and tie it to some railings on the Tour de Yorkshire route without blinking!
I have had some corespondance with our cousins across the pond but nothing fruitful has come of it, just speculation. The V-CC Marquee Expert recognises it for what it is; a 1949 Olympic Path, probably owned by an ex-pat American, who added the stars & stripes. (theses are, on closer inspection at a far lower quality than the box lining.

I love restoring and preserving theses little gems of history, but nothing compares to actually riding them.

Back