• Poll closed .
Re: American help required - stars & stripes Claud Butler

And the octopus?

Enjoying the read/ride/trip.

The History Man":1aqeihdi said:
And the octopus?

Enjoying the read/ride/trip.

Lives to fight another day..... shouldnt you be enjoying a party or something?

:? Right, help, I know not what to do……. :?:

After getting through the grime, and lifting some of the rust, the paint on this old Claud is awful, too much damage to touch in, but then I really want to resist striping it all off and re-spraying an exact replica… :cry:

Ok let’s go through some facts;
1. It’s a 22” frame
2. I’ve got a 34” inside leg, so I’m really only comfortable on 23.5” + frames, so this bike was never for me.
3. Jim, my 11-year-old, currently has a 19.5” ride, and a 21” in the pipeline, but has his eye on this.

I wanted to clean and preserve every last part of this frame set, then offer it up for sale. But the parts are proving all to be as rough as a badger’s arse – or broken. The wheels, hubs and bars are shot. So, options?

After chatting to Jimmy, we have decided on 3, but I thought I would use this thread to canvas your opinion;

1. Put what I can back together, with some period correct replacement parts and stick her back on the open market, making it someone elses problem. (cheapest option)
2. Complete restoration, immaculate paint job with proper slide on transfers rather than vinyl cut. Re-chrome all parts including exact like for like replacements, it would look the nuts, but then I would never ride it. (going to cost a pretty penny)
3. Jim’s plan. RESTO-MOD, lacquer over the patina, pack it full of modern kit & ride it like he stole it every day! (his words :facepalm: )

Option 3 does mean she will have a new life... and could always be re-built if I ever find out anymore of her history.

Attachments

• RoughArseRing.jpeg
    RoughArseRing.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 315
  • AChipTooFar.jpeg
    AChipTooFar.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 315
What to do with the Stars & Stripes Claud Butler 1949 Path

I have a thread running here; viewtopic.php?f=12&t=385380

But want to reach out to the public vote......

:? Right, help, I know not what to do……. :?:

After getting through the grime, and lifting some of the rust, the paint on this old Claud is awful, too much damage to touch in, but then I really want to resist striping it all off and re-spraying an exact replica… :cry:

Ok let’s go through some facts;
1. It’s a 22” frame
2. I’ve got a 34” inside leg, so I’m really only comfortable on 23.5” + frames, so this bike was never for me.
3. Jim, my 11-year-old, currently has a 19.5” ride, and a 21” in the pipeline, but has his eye on this.

I wanted to clean and preserve every last part of this frame set, then offer it up for sale. But the parts are proving all to be as rough as a badger’s arse – or broken. The wheels, hubs and bars are shot. So, options?

After chatting to Jimmy, we have decided on 3, but I thought I would use this thread to canvas your opinion;

1. Put what I can back together, with some period correct replacement parts and stick her back on the open market, making it someone elses problem. (cheapest option)
2. Complete restoration, immaculate paint job with proper slide on transfers rather than vinyl cut. Re-chrome all parts including exact like for like replacements, it would look the nuts, but then I would never ride it. (going to cost a pretty penny)
3. Jim’s plan. RESTO-MOD, lacquer over the patina, pack it full of modern kit & ride it like he stole it every day! (his words :facepalm: )

Option 3 does mean she will have a new life... and could always be re-built if I ever find out anymore of her history.

The History Man":260o64g0 said:
Option 7.

Youre drunk Birthday boy

Re: What to do with the Stars & Stripes Claud Butler 1949 Path

There’s only one with my middle name in it. That one.

Re:

Retro-Mod for me....if this means it will get used more then this has to be the best.

Don't get me wrong, if you went with the full monty respray & rebuild...and used it equally as much then fair enough.

Passing it on to a third party? Naaaah. It's found it's home already.

Sand_Dune

Latest posts

Back