19" kona hei hei sells for a steal ,new + unused

Good point Paul and I would if it interested me as a bidder

Don't think it can be a 2007 prototype though and presumably nor does he by listing it as retro & vintage in the item header

Nope, 2007 sure isn't retro or vintage (though the KK as a concept may be, bu it's listed as a Hei Hei not a KK.) Nor do the chain stays match with the 2007 pictured KK model, though Kona has always reserved the right to change specs. But is sure as feck isn't a 90's Hei Hei.

I also don't care as I'm not bidding and am not convinced it's a Kona at all, though the welds look to be as nice as Sandvik (barring the lack of very close-up pics.) However, for all the people partaking in the thread and throwing about theories, it might be easier for one of them to ask.

Well, off to peruse more threads here, as there's endless entertainment on retrobike. Never lets you down even when TV does. :D

Kona Paul":kg8gx92l said:
Call me an idiot, but has anyone thought of asking him? If he has connections with Kona, then surely he can provide some details about this frame as to what it is (i.e., 2007 model, prototype, etc.)

I have done, asked the following:

"Can you give more details about the frame - is it a recent prototype, or a retro frame as it says in the title?"

Let's wait and see what he replies

Excellent Nic. Keep us posted. I have to admit my curiosity has been aroused as to what he will say. He does seem to sell a lot of Kona's, but I'm still not convinced that this is one.

Next step: send a pic to tech@konaworld and ask "is this one of your's?" ;)

Kona Paul":3h7t3sc1 said:
Call me an idiot, but has anyone thought of asking him? If he has connections with Kona, then surely he can provide some details about this frame as to what it is (i.e., 2007 model, prototype, etc.)
I must confess I do sometimes ask questions just out of curiosity, but I try not to, as you're just wasting the guy's time really. As this is a size 19 and apparently has no v-brake mounts, I won't be buying it, no matter how good it is.

I think the lack of V-brake mounts marks it out as pretty recent, but I guess one possibility is that Kona had some prototypes made some time in between 2000 and 2007. All seems rather odd to me - they know what a ti frame looks like, they know how much they cost to make and they know whether or not they can sell them at a particular price. Everybody knows what shape a Kona is, so what's the need for a prototype?

Exactly right Anthony. And very odd indeed. I've never seen chain stays like that on any bike, much less a Kona. Of course ona's sometimes have unusual things shrowded in mystery, for example the extended seat tubes that were being dicussed not so long ago. Hmmm...

His reply was 'I'm not sure of it year exactly, There is a hand scribed/etched frame number (1703061).'

I had a Setavento Voodoo copy in Ti........................mm perfect copy......they said they do Kona, Cove copies for customers all the time..................could be a copy frame made by someone ?

Back