Heads-up "Raleigh Dynatech 400 MINT condition"

Lazarus

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Sorry for putting this in here without warning/permission but I was going to steal it until I made contact with the seller and heard his genuine story. After much thought I said I'd post an ad in here if they didn't mind. I hope you can understand why I'm putting this here :) Thanks, Laz.

"The bike is on this link here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0698126545 "

The story is simple, the seller is the best friend of the owner. The seller is an MTB boy who knows little of the values of road bikes especially retro/vintage. His friend has advanced lung cancer, now it has reached his brain. Who knows how long the poor guy has left, but point is, "this Raleigh Dynatech 400 with FULL Shimano blue 500ex is his beloved machine". By the looks of things it has been cared for since being bought.

I'm posting here because A) It's a beautiful bike deserving a good home NOT an ebay breakers back yard, B) because of the reason for sale. I'm only trying to find the best price for this because of the guys situation. I'm not trying to raise a sympathy interest, just raise awareness of this bike :) It was up for £200 on a BIN, I asked the guy to push that BIN to £350 to keep the breakers away & buy some time. Sorry if I'm wrong, but personally I would go to at least £250 - £280 in his hand. I genuinely can't take this buy on board right now or I would without hesitation. He'll save on ebay fees and know the bike has gone to a good home. I think I was moved because the sick man is more worried about losing his bike than his health .... "that struck a cord with me .... I know how the guy feels, daft I know, but who said cyclists where sane anyways ?

All the best to anyone reading this, and I hope the good sides of me posting are felt because I know sympathy sales aren't nice. If you like the look of it, use the ebay contact and talk to the guy (Matty). Yours Laz.

PS: this is only a heads-up for the bike, the story is why I've posted here, please forgive me if I'm out of line on this 1.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Clearly a tenderly cared for bike, I wish him the best. I could be wrong, but if he is willing to post he will likely get a better price for it.

The Owner's name is "Phil Mitchell" and hails from the Birmingham area. He was a regular rider with clubs (so someone might know this chap). Thanks again for looking, yours Laz.

PS: Hi Lawrence :) "I'm sure postage / safe delivery can & will be arranged if someone wants this absolute gem". IMHO this bike is too good for the breakers yard, and since Dynatech 400's are regarded as decent / very decent machines to ride + the mans circumstances, it would be a shame if I'd stayed quiet. If all else fails I'll have to steal it for the £200 (maybe send some more in a few weeks) but simply can't bring myself to take it at that low a price, just wouldn't feel right ... but thats me all over :) I've seen lots of asks on the wanteds for £250-£300 bikes and this would fit the bill perfect for the right person. Later buddy, Laz.

Nice heads up Laz, that's got to be worth £250 - 280 like you say. It would be a cracking bike for someone :)

Hi again Roo :) Thanks buddy, I was beginning to wonder if I'd done a good thing ? I love it but can't swing it for another week or 2. Off to collect a Koga Miyata Gentracer in original condition (full shimano 600ax groupset with aero gear levers) on Saturday. I'm tempted to sell to buy but it all takes time, time the seller hasn't got :-(

I'm sure someone in here who's looking for a quality bike will give this some thought at £250-£280, thats not a lot for a Dynatech in this condition with its original groupset still fitted & in top condition too. My best to you buddy, Laz. PS: here is a pic from the listing

Attachments

• Blue Raleigh Dynatech.jpg
    Blue Raleigh Dynatech.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,129
Best of wishes to the guys, hope it does well. Might be worth getting the size right - it surely can't be a "51"? Ask a Question and get the Answer included in the Listing?

Hi Dave :) Well spotted on the size. I never read the size listings because they are nearly always wrong, I just look at the headtube :) I'd guess a 57cm-58cm on this because the headtube is "my size". Been riding a 58cm for 27years so its sort of stuck in my head. I'm not 1 of those who needs exactamento because I know I can ride anywhere between a 54cm (long seat post, race low position) to a 60cm (happy Larry laid back ride). Thanks for pointing it buddy, yours Laz.

Sadly the owner of this bike passed away last night :-( RIP "Phil Mitchell of Birmingham". I have decided to take this myself. Thank you to anyone who gave it any thought. Just goes to show how quickly life can pass from1 world to the other. My best to you all, Anthony aka Laz.

Back