130mm Rear Hubs. What You Using?

Thame Game

Retro Guru
My, as yet, unidentified Roberts frame has a 130mm rear.
I'm researching what wheels to put together for it. 8 speed is always my 1st choice. My favourite hubs are Mavic 577. They are over-engineered masterpieces. But, they are 135mm.

Last year, I stretched out a steel Ciöcc from 115mm to 130mm to take Alpina 8 speed hubs with great results, but I want to leave the Roberts as it is.

Did Suntour XC pro come in 130mm?

Anyway, any suggestions would be great.

Mavic 501/531 are super sweet. freewheel. (can be adjusted between 130/135mm with shims) So no stretching needed.

Shimano XT 6 speed freehubs are 130, but take uniglide cassettes; I seem to recall they can be re cassetted/dished for 7 speed hypeglide cassettes though?

Also, 126 could fit with spacers without stressing the frame.

I re-spaced a lx M560 rear hub from 135mm to 130mm and built the wheels with campy atek rims and double butted spokes for my Raleigh Dune Dancer. Frame now sold but I still have the wheels, they were built with nos parts and have had light use. Would they be of interest? Other than that, as mentioned above, mavic hubs are really nice. 501's are spaced 126 or 130 and the 531's are typically spaced at 135mm

Xt m732 (7 speed) came in both 130 and 135. As did deore. The hub bodies are 5mm shorter, so they use exactly the same spacer/ cone/ seal set up, just with a shorter spindle.

Re-dishing a 135 to 130 with non drive spacers removed is an option, but you increase the dish (weaker wheel as spoke % tensions get worse) by making the dish greater to counter the flanges move towards the non drive side.

Last edited:
Xt m732 (7 speed) came in both 130 and 135. As did deore. The hub bodies are 5mm shorter, so they use exactly the same spacer/ cone/ seal set up, just with a shorter spindle.

Re-dishing a 135 to 130 with non drive spacers removed is an option, but you increase the dish (weaker wheel as spoke % tensions get worse) by making the dish greater to counter the flanges move towards the non drive side.
a lot to think about here. Is 8 speed at 130mm not possible? Maybe a 5mm stretch is the way to go after all?

a lot to think about here. Is 8 speed at 130mm not possible? Maybe a 5mm stretch is the way to go after all?
Of course it's possible, road bikes have been like that for 30 years.

It's a trivial thing to make a 130mm hub from a 135. Buy a shorter axle or cut 5mm off, fit some smaller spacers (B&Q washers if nothing else comes to hand). Reassemble. It's a 20 minute job.

Last edited:
130 mountain bike hubs tend to cheaper second hand, as they are not so desirable as there are less frames to take them. In my experience.

Ask on the forum....im sure somebody will have one.

Far as Suntour is concerned, if you look at old Suntour catalogs, it appears the XC pro did come in 130mm. Looks to me, the difference between the 135 and 130 is the spacer. At least for the 7 speed (non-microdrive) hub. Fixing to build one up and saw it off to fit, I'll let you know how it goes. Nice hubs (*real* nice), but the cassettes are hideously expensive. I also scored an XC LTD freewheel type hub for like $32 on ebay, if I was smart I'd go with that, but nobody ever accused me of having any common sense at all.

Might also want to look at Sachs New Success, their 130mm will take an 8spd freewheel, if you dare. *Super* nice hubset, I like the front more than the back, but still -- like buttah. I've also kicked around the idea of using an old set of Campy Record hubs. Both, I guess are technically road hubs, but at my age I'm not likely to push either to the breaking point

Far as Suntour is concerned, if you look at old Suntour catalogs, it appears the XC pro did come in 130mm. Looks to me, the difference between the 135 and 130 is the spacer. At least for the 7 speed (non-microdrive) hub. Fixing to build one up and saw it off to fit, I'll let you know how it goes. Nice hubs (*real* nice), but the cassettes are hideously expensive. I also scored an XC LTD freewheel type hub for like $32 on ebay, if I was smart I'd go with that, but nobody ever accused me of having any common sense at all.

Might also want to look at Sachs New Success, their 130mm will take an 8spd freewheel, if you dare. *Super* nice hubset, I like the front more than the back, but still -- like buttah. I've also kicked around the idea of using an old set of Campy Record hubs. Both, I guess are technically road hubs, but at my age I'm not likely to push either to the breaking point
I thought of Camapg as well, but getting a decent tooth spread accross 8 speed is virtually impossible for mountain bikes, they are out there but very difficult to source.
Freewheels as well dont seem to come in anything less than 13T

Back