110mm Taper Spindle/Possible Chain Line Issue For Single Speed Freewheel?

Mr Weirdo

Retro Guru
Hello

I have a problem I think...some say I have many...but that's another story for another day.

My frame is French and has a Velo Orange Bottom Bracket 35x1, a taper spindle that is 110mm(110.5mm) in length and is JIS.

I want to use a Stronglight 55 JIS Crank Set (Single Chain Ring) as its hanging around in my spares box.

I'm worried about my chain line?

Is the taper spindle length to long?

Many thanks!

I'd suggest test assembling all the parts (nip up the crank bolts) and then run a straight edge across the chainring to the rear sprocket and see if you're in the ball park, if so a spacer on the rear sprocket (or turning it over) may sort it.
So many variables, you could change the axle lock nuts and re-dish the rear wheel etc.

It also depends on how big your front chainring will be. For example I run a 113mm bb and a 46T ring and the chain line is fine and that is with an 1/8 chain.
A 3/32 chain is more forgiving of 'poor' chainline than 1/8 pitch. I would avoid messing with the wheel dish as the advantage of a single speed wheel is lack of dish which equates to a strong wheel.

I think my chain ring is also 46t? So it sounds like I should be okay with a little bit of fiddling. Thank you.

Back