11 speed Shimano compatible wheelset recommendations?

chambo34

Retro Guru
I've just bought the black Shimano 105 11 speed rim braked groupset from Wiggle (£299on offer) it's to upgrade my 2009 Trek 1.7. The Trek's been ace but bits are wearing and by the time I'd added it up it was a no brainer...I'll save the original 105 10 speed to fit on my 2010 Edison as I can replace the worn bits at leisure. Anyhow I digress, ot looks like I can't fit the 11 speed cassette to my old Bontrager SSR wheels(which have been surprisingly ok) so I'll need some new wheels, any recommendations that aren't too eye watering as on a budget due to daughter's wedding!

As for new wheels, it all boils down to... what do you like the look of?

Shimano wheels are alright.😐
Mavic aksiums are cheap & reliable (but heavy).

Ah, a namecheck, cheers @CassidyAce, glad they suited! The Cero AR30s are also very good and a bit deeper at 30mm. They are a bit lighter and noticeably faster than the AR24. I've had 2 pairs of both wheels and a couple more pairs of AR30s are still going strong on my mates' bikes.

That 105 groupset was a bargain, I saw that deal recently. But unless you're looking to change wheels anyway, you could also just replace the cassette you got with the groupset package for a 11-34 model - unlike the smaller ratio versions the 105 and Ultegra 11-34 11-speed models will fit on 10-speed freehubs.

Ah, a namecheck, cheers @CassidyAce, glad they suited! The Cero AR30s are also very good and a bit deeper at 30mm. They are a bit lighter and noticeably faster than the AR24. I've had 2 pairs of both wheels and a couple more pairs of AR30s are still going strong on my mates' bikes.

That 105 groupset was a bargain, I saw that deal recently. But unless you're looking to change wheels anyway, you could also just replace the cassette you got with the groupset package for a 11-34 model - unlike the smaller ratio versions the 105 and Ultegra 11-34 11-speed models will fit on 10-speed freehubs.
11-34t will be fitted eventually but probably to a new set of wheels.

Back