1 x 10 Drive train on Retrobike.

It depends on what kind of large sprocket you want; if it falls in the 34T ball park most older 8 or 9 speed
rear mechs will handle this. You can then use a shifter pod from the road / trekking world and keep your
rear mech, just update your cassette and chain to 10sp.

Shifters are SL-R460, SL-4600 and SL-R780. Of course, these are Shimano. Or use 10sp tri-bar levers as thumbies.

If you decide to go all swanky modern MTB 10sp kit, then you enter a world of pain with no compatibility
to 7, 8 and 9sp old sh!t.

Regarding 1x, can anyone explain to me how reducing function can be considered an upgrade? Is it all about weight savings? Also worth asking: with the long cage required for larger cassette clearance, are 1xers experiencing more derailleur strikes, and hence replacement? I'm weighing the pros and cons of this, and the cons are currently in the lead, but I am open to other opinions.

Please explain; "reducing function"?

a good 1x setup has practically the same spread of gears (you typically lose the equivalent of one or maybe two gears at either the top, or bottom), with almost identical jumps between gears. No need to shift at the front - only one shifter needed. Less chance of chain derailment. longevity is being proven to be excellent.

I know I'm starting to sound like a 1x seller, I'm not, but a lot of the arguments against simply aren't true.

Ironically, if any weight is saved, it's offset by adding some to the 'wrong' place - on the axle.

Setup a 93 hahanna with a 1x9 on an old stx crowd hub with a new free hub from LGF. It could be 10 or 11 but I already had the 9s cassette. Which is 11-40 range. Haven’t decided if I’ll swap the mech to something newer as I think an 772 xt may work without the goat link and just a longer b screw, the fit up and test was done with a deore 590. Still got some time before I decide as it’s going for paint in the new year.

Reducing function: my 3x7 drivetrain has 20 different gear ratios, while 1x offers a maximum of twelve. 12>20. To attempt to deny any reduced function is to ignore fact. In my reading, having to replace the long cage due to strikes seems far more common now than it ever was with 7 or 8 speed cartridges, though perhaps this can be attributed to the internet. I didn't actually hang out in the LBS to find out how many of the old systems were getting damaged.
To paraphrase My_Teenage_Self above, I don't want to sound like a 3x seller, but a lot of the arguments don't add up for me. And I really don't like the look of the small front ring and large cassette, it looks all out of proportion.

MattiThundrrr":2qew9lxw said:
Reducing function: my 3x7 drivetrain has 20 different gear ratios, while 1x offers a maximum of twelve. 12>20. To attempt to deny any reduced function is to ignore fact. In my reading, having to replace the long cage due to strikes seems far more common now than it ever was with 7 or 8 speed cartridges, though perhaps this can be attributed to the internet. I didn't actually hang out in the LBS to find out how many of the old systems were getting damaged.
To paraphrase My_Teenage_Self above, I don't want to sound like a 3x seller, but a lot of the arguments don't add up for me. And I really don't like the look of the small front ring and large cassette, it looks all out of proportion.

Lets ignore Aesthetics for now - I'm not keen either TBH, but modern bikes look nothing like our old bikes either.

Your 3x7 does not have 20 different gear ratios, at best it has around 14. 26/36/46 x 12-28 (7 speed) essentially only has 11 distinctly different ratios, and a 10-50 cassette would actually have a wider range;

26/36/46 x 12-28 has gear ratios of 1.8 to 7.4

38 x 10-50 has gear ratios of 1.5 to 7.4

a 3x system can absolutely have a larger range of gears, but it will either involve a wide range cassette, or non-typical chainrings. There was another thread on here recently, and the consensus is that you'll typically lose either the top or bottom 2-3 gears with a 1x system, triple chainrings have a massive number of duplicate ratios which is why 2x started to become popular again.

& then add an oval chainring as the 1x...

1x systems are harder on chains I'm told. Seems right from experience with the lads 1x low mileage rides compared to my bigger mile 3x rides.

Right

if you were cynical

SRAM didnt want to pay for any patents on their front mechs, so a few years ago they said they'd never manufacture a new front mech ever again.

If you were cynical.

Back