1:1 cable pull and mixing sram and shimano?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Ice learned that I can't use 10 speed xtr shifters (m980) on a 9 speed xtr rear mech (m972) due to the cable pull required for 9 speed shimano being something like a 1:1.7 ratio and 10 speed being 1:1 (source: internet).

Rather than having to source an expensive 10 speed xtr mech or worse, pull one off another bike (relax, I've only got one but I'm quite attached to my pimped out folding bike), I'm wondering if I could use a 9 speed sram x0 rear mech as that has a 1:1 cable pull ratio (annoyingly 10 speed sram doesn't).

Anyone tried this and does it provide good shifting? Or would I be better off selling the x0 mech and getting a shimano one?

Xo mechs look great imho and I've got a bike running x0 hearing and never had a problem. I do like the dual shifting on shimano levers and the ocd in me doesn't like mixing brands, it even bugs me I have an x9 front mech instead of an x0 one on occasion.

That's annoying but turns out the shifters I bought as 10 speed are in fact 9 speed. Annoying in some ways but it means I can use them with an existing rear mech I gave.

Thanks for the reply!

Back