“Stumpjumper” frame - or is it ?

Could you provide accurate measurements of the frame too?
Seat tube - centre to centre then centre to top
Top Tube - centre to centre
The weight of the frame and forks might help too.

These could all be used by the groups in these forums to compare with our / other Rockhoppers and Stumpys of that era to help narrow this down.

By the mid 90s the Stumpjumper serial numbers began with the two digits of the year rather than a letter. Not sure if this was the same for Rockhoppers.
My 1998 RockHopper's serial number begins with P7. I suspect the frame in question was manufactured in 1994 and sold as a 1995 model. The seatpost clamp collar looks like a 1995 RockHopper's; the 1994 collar is slightly different.

The first year of cable noodles was 1993, when even the base steel Stumpy had no rack eyelets on the seat stays. And this was the last year of threaded steerers for Stumpies too. So the frame in question can't have been a 93 Stumpy.

I agree with @CassidyAce and would conclude its a 1995 Rockhopper.

Some pics here of the 93 Stumpy with noodle, threaded steerer but no eyelets

b8972d5b-507c-4560-a871-f2def8f033b2-jpeg.673612

Last edited:

These could all be used by the groups in these forums to compare with our / other Rockhoppers and Stumpys of that era to help narrow this down.

By the mid 90s the Stumpjumper serial numbers began with the two digits of the year rather than a letter. Not sure if this was the same for Rockhoppers.
Give me 24 hrs, I'll get those for you.

Thanks for everyone’s help. So, the consensus is 1995 Rockhopper? The frame seems to match up. The forks though. On mine, where both fork tubes come down and meet the wheel spindle holder plates (sorry, don’t know the actual name of those), that lowest part of the tubing is curved. I found this 1995 Rockhopper on eBay:

9mKXkMi.jpg

On this, the tubing is squared off, not curved. Is it possible my frame is fitted with different forks? Also, my forks look a little thicker, more heavy duty.

UJmvemT.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The forks don't necessarily help much when dating the frame, as they are easily changed. Could be a different year, model, or even manufacturer. Supply could have run low and they did a batch of bikes with different forks. It happens.

Alternatively, it could be part of the reason for the respray...

There could be any number of reasons for the forks being different...

Last edited:

Seat tube - centre to centre then centre to top - 452/484mm

I’m guessing on what ‘centre’ means. To the centre of the adjoining tube?

Top Tube - centre to centre – 585mm

The weight of the frame and forks might help too – 3.4 - 3.5 kg (on accurate bathroom scales)

HTH

Back