£10 skip find - Kona Lava Dome 1997 - finished build photos

That's a good job there!

The bike you've ended up with looks like a daily rider that is looked after

There is no trace of the fact that some heartless fool left it to rot, neglected outside, then ultimately threw it away!

A true rescue story with a very happy ending. Original paint looks ace!

Cheers fella

It gets used quite a lot, I love the skinny tubes and the feel from the steel.
Have had to change the chainset but managed to get a great condition LX from the same period for less than the price of a new middle chainring.

I know its not the prettiest but its a fully functional warrior which loves being ridden :D

Wow - fair play - you weren't kidding about the green slime. Top clean up job though - looks great :cool: . Not seen a Kona with a canti hanger before - all mine have had 'dog collar' cable guides - possibly because they were small frame sizes.

my one, 1994 I think.

not a £10 skip find Stu but a £21 ebay purchase (frame, P2 + Quadra 21R, headset, stem, bars, seatpost, bb, cranks.) No slime on mine. Your bro supplied the Kona brake levers & Kona fr tyre came from tiboltrider. Purists won't like the 8 sp Gripshift but it works well. Got some nos XT thumbies in my stash but scared to use them!
Might take it to Bristol ride.

Attachments

• P8230003.JPG
    P8230003.JPG
    249.8 KB · Views: 1,030
Re: my one, 1994 I think.

jimbo-xc":3tw4cix0 said:
not a £10 skip find Stu but a £21 ebay purchase (frame, P2 + Quadra 21R, headset, stem, bars, seatpost, bb, cranks.) No slime on mine. Your bro supplied the Kona brake levers & Kona fr tyre came from tiboltrider. Purists won't like the 8 sp Gripshift but it works well. Got some nos XT thumbies in my stash but scared to use them!
Might take it to Bristol ride.
Jim

I think it is a 1994 as well. Looks an absolute beauty, more original kit on than mine.

Never got on brilliantly with gripshift personally, but if it works then that's by far the most important thing. And they're light!

kona

I must confess I am not a big fan of Kona's but its another inspirational build and I stunned at how well its turned out

Back