Sacrilege?

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
I have 1" Powerlite fork I'd like to use for a build. The steerer is too short (for use with a lovely Ti threadless stem), and I want to convert it to threadless. :twisted:

I can

a) attempt to press out the old and press in a new. highly unlikely due to cost and sourcing someone that's experience enough to do a proper job of it. also i've been told it's not a straight forward job as the steerer isn't 90 degree with crown since the fork legs are straight and the steerer/crown makes the offset.

b) cut the steerer and have it extended (sleeved/brazed/welded?). also probably not an easy job to source someone who can do this properly to keep the old/new steerer sections straight.

Am I committing sacrilege?

Attachments

• IMG_2609.JPG
    IMG_2609.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,586
well, it's not like i've even ridden with a pair of Syncros forks yet. heck, i haven't even ridden the frame yet. should I be doing something so drastic, not knowing if i'm gonna like the ride???

if things don't work out, any resell value of the forks is probably down the drain. this i'm not so concerned about. but it would be a shame for me to tarnish a iconic fork i could pass on to someone else to enjoy as is.

and i do have other options, i'm just kind of stuck with one mindset right now of what i ideally want.

i could also:

c) source another set of rigid forks with proper steerer length

d) source another threaded stem (which i've already kind of done as a temp measure)

RockiMtn":3p0j5kxz said:

No, plenty of people do it (Option B) , myself included and if you feel that guilty about it the job can be reversed.

Spot the join?

EWR_build25.jpg

neilll":1duw63c0 said:
RockiMtn":1duw63c0 said:

No, plenty of people do it (Option B) , myself included and if you feel that guilty about it the job can be reversed.

Spot the join?

:shock: holy, no! where's the join?

reversed? please elaborate :?

RockiMtn":2fln4tfo said:

Cut it back off and redo the steerer but 26tpi threaded.

The forks above had a short threaded steerer to start with, same problem as you. I will always 'fix' this problem in the same way now (and that will include my Powerlites if they come up too short), its quicker/easier than hunting down more forks ;)

as a word of warning,

if the post is a press fit then you may have huge problems getting it out without damaging it, for a set of Magura forks i did we had to cut it right down to get enough pressure on it in a vice, it was flexing,

To fit a new one i made we machined it at the workshop where i worked then used a method called cold press.

We placed the new post in liquid Nitrogen and then pressed it in, only way you will know that it will never come loose with a press fit.

neilll":23l7xpnv said:
RockiMtn":23l7xpnv said:

Cut it back off and redo the steerer but 26tpi threaded.

The forks above had a short threaded steerer to start with, same problem as you. I will always 'fix' this problem in the same way now (and that will include my Powerlites if they come up too short), its quicker/easier than hunting down more forks ;)

can you elaborate on how it was joined? how much was cut off, was it sleeved? brazed/welded (i'm guessing since you can't see the seam).

would like to know your recommendations if i go down this route.

btw, still need those Revo measurements. ;)

RockiMtn":1axf3nvp said:
can you elaborate on how it was joined? how much was cut off, was it sleeved? brazed/welded (i'm guessing since you can't see the seam).

Cut off below the threads, new section of steerer tube prepared, internal sleeve and welded back up. 100% reliable, very strong and I recommend it totally, here it costs about £60 to get done by a good framebuilder.

Rotwild 1":1e292wle said:
as a word of warning,

if the post is a press fit then you may have huge problems getting it out without damaging it, for a set of Magura forks i did we had to cut it right down to get enough pressure on it in a vice, it was flexing,

To fit a new one i made we machined it at the workshop where i worked then used a method called cold press.

We placed the new post in liquid Nitrogen and then pressed it in, only way you will know that it will never come loose with a press fit.

Or use a 30tonne press like I do ;)

Back