1997/1998 Trek Y Five-O (sort of??) FINISHED!!!!!!

lawson

Retro Guru
Since 1997 when my original Trek Y11 got pinched I have always wanted to rekindle my desire to own another again.

I know it's not a great rider in comparsion to say my new fuel ex, but I kinda liked it back then.

Anyway..... I always lusted after the top of the range Y Five-O but alas at 4 grand odd it was out of my price range. There were also few around.

90266133.jpg

Again... Back on track.

This 1998 frame came up on the bay which was in a shocking state. Knackered bushings, no graphics, crap paint and the wrong shock.
It was frankly a bit sad.

402bfc33.jpg

So I set to work.
Stripped the paint, ditched the shock and got busy.
Bought a correct sized but modern Rock Shox Monarch shock to help the pedal feedback that they were known for, and added a Manitou Mars fork that I had aqquired.

7d16b661.jpg

Creativity then began with custom (by me) decals as nobody knew what they looked like or had them on system. Drew a replica, scanned them, then used a graphics pad to colour before getting them properly printed.

Spray paint (custom colour to match a photo), tidying, polishing and here is my reincarnation of what I always wanted.

4f366aa9.jpg

What do you think?

Looks good. However when the time comes to sell it, be sure to advertise it for what it really is.

As for the name, I was actually expecting a police paintjob when I clicked the link to this topic.
Come to think of it, I just might do such a thing soon (a police paintjob, not a Trek Y). :cool:

Wow, great job there on the Y ! I had initially thought that was a Y Five-0 before reading your post. Those red tribal designs actually have black coloured outlines on them though....Nice work

I have one of those exact frames (well a '98 y-33, not a y-22) hanging on the wall for a future project along these same lines (though I've been thinking of a bonty rasta inspired colour scheme not a y-50 recreation). Mine used to be a rider, but have retired the frame for now.

Did you just sand back the carbon front to prep it for paint?

There is a site that an Australian fanatic has set up that has some useful information on it here: http://cool386.tripod.com/trek/trek.htm

Yours looks good - I might have to start work on mine earlier than later. You've inspired me.

Turns out good! And all that detailings are taken from the catalogue photos to be replicated only....amazing. Another photo of your nice creation with a less cluttered background perhaps?

Did the paint strip off the rear triangle easily?

I like the finished product - the white stem is a nice touch.

I have to be honest. I don't like Treks, I especially dont like URT designs. But that bike looks PERFECT! I think you've got the colour balance spot on, the paint looks fantastic and the component choices work really well. It has to be the best looking URT bike I've ever seen, and better than quite a few other full sus bikes too.
Well done!!

Thanks buddy. Took it for a spin on Sunday and it felt really smooth and also rapid!

Having a shock such as the monarch has made the bike handle so much better than the one I had in 1997. It simply doesn't bob and yet still absorbs the rough stuff.

Really glad I built it :))
thanks for the nice comment

Latest posts

Back