1994 Gary Fisher Rangitoto makeover

PhilWong

Retro Newbie
Hi all. I'm here to share the successful makeover of my vintage 1994 Gary Fisher Rangitoto. This cromoly bike has been through thick and thin with me on and off road for over 17 years. I has since retired it due to its poor condition, but couldn't bear to throw it away. Hence, this slow and budget restoration job to bring this hardy bike back to its former glory. Enjoy.

rangi2.jpg

Steel frames might be heavy, but they're built to last. I've clocked thousands of kilometers and broke many components except for the frame.

brakecable.jpg

Problem no. 1: This bike is designed for cantilevers only. I'll have to ditch the front derailleur to use V-brake in this case without resorting to messy cable ties.

rustyframe.jpg

Problem no. 2: Dents, scratches, rusts, stains and whatnot. The frame is a far cry from its original shine.

rust.jpg

Problem no. 3: Heavy pitting caused by extensive rusting. Other teething problems: Faulty 21-speed brifters, derauillers and suspension fork.

rangi3.jpg

framedone.jpg

Stripped the original paint, then applied primer, colors and lacquer. Gary Fisher decals are sourced and purchased online, while the Rangitoto wordings are DIYed using vinyl lettering.

Phil

large-adpic1-1299339665-29469.jpg

manitou.jpg

Bought a second hand Manitou Magnum manufactured back in 2000 for US$33 and repainted the fork legs to match the frame. Vinyl decals ordered online again.

Phil

ngf1.jpg

ngf4.jpg

ngf3.jpg

ngf2.jpg

ngf5.jpg

The bike in showroom condition again! Total bill adds up to US$210. It is now converted to a 7-speed commute bike. :) Final component list.

Main reconditioned parts
- Double butted chromoly frame
- Ritchey threadless headset
- Shimano Deore LX bottom bracket
- Shimano Deore LX crank (single chain ring)
- Bontrager rim with Shimano Acera X hub + 7-speed cassette
- Araya rim with Shimano Exage hub
- Manitou Magnum fork

New parts
- Avid Single Digit 5 V-brake set
- SRAM X3 7-speed shifter + rear derailleur
- Schwalbe CX Comp semi-slick tires
- Clark brake cables
- Raleigh raiser bar

The whole bike now weighs slightly over 11kg and works like a charm. Fast, quiet and nimble.

Phil

nice bike, looks a bit like a 98 marlin

I got a marlin frame off ebay and sprayed it up but I repaired some bad scratches etc and then blended the paint into the existing coat before re-laquering the whole. That saved replacing the decals as I couldn't find the same ones anywhere. I didn't have any of the original parts so just used mostly deore lx, nothing too fancy. I used mavic d531 rims on the wheels as I am about 170 pouinds (plus). I will try to attatch a pic for you.
russ[/list]

Attachments

• IMG_1219aa.jpg
    IMG_1219aa.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 6,119
PhilWong":1dgoq8rr said:
The bike in showroom condition again! Total bill adds up to US$210. It is now converted to a 7-speed commute bike. :) Final component list.

Main reconditioned parts
- Double butted chromoly frame
- Ritchey threadless headset
- Shimano Deore LX bottom bracket
- Shimano Deore LX crank (single chain ring)
- Bontrager rim with Shimano Acera X hub + 7-speed cassette
- Araya rim with Shimano Exage hub
- Manitou Magnum fork

New parts
- Avid Single Digit 5 V-brake set
- SRAM X3 7-speed shifter + rear derailleur
- Schwalbe CX Comp semi-slick tires
- Clark brake cables
- Raleigh raiser bar

The whole bike now weighs slightly over 11kg and works like a charm. Fast, quiet and nimble.

Phil

Wow, beautiful job on the bike Phil. I have the exact same Rangitoto. I was considering getting a different bike, but you've inspired me to maybe recondition this one. Mine has a Shimano Interactive Glide 7sp cassette, Deore deraileur on rear and IG chain. The crank is Shimano 3 ring Hyperdrive-C. I'm not sure about the bottom bracket. The shifters are the grip shift. How do you like the thumb shifters instead? I have a Manitou Fork on it, but was considering on changing to a regular steel fork. I would assume I'd get some weight savings there. I may go with some smaller tires than I have. I love the way those Schwalbe CX Comp look with the red stripe. Cool. Where did you get most of your parts? Last, would you just consider me sending my bike to you so you could do it, then I'll fly over to Singapore for the initial ride and hang out with you. :) Just kidding of course. My wife would kill me.

Back