My stable of old steel

Gazelleer

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
These are my classic road bikes. The Batavus Competition and Gazelle AB were bikes I owned in the late 1970's, early 1980's. I ran into similar bikes some time ago and couldn't resist...

The Batavus was my first 'real' racing bike (i.e. without mudguards). I owned an ivory one like this first and later an orange one with Shimano 600 'Arabesque' components.

The Peugeot PY10 was in the 1978 and 1979 Peugeot brochure and this had been a long time favorite of mine. My parents promised me the bike for my 16th birthday if I wouldn't start riding a moped. When I became 16, the choice was between the PY10 and the Ivory/Baikal blue Gazelle. I went for the Gazelle, mainly because of its compatibility with modern components. Never regretted that decision but it is nice to own an original PY10 after all these years anyways...

The team Skala Gazelle was one of my favorite frames of that era but back then I bought a C-Record Merckx Corsa Extra, nearly identical to this one in the brochure.

After the Merckx came another Gazelle, an AA-Special, Brussels blue with Shimano Dura Ace 7400/7410, including the first STI's.

The Démax was my main bike up to 2005 when I switched from steel to carbon. The best steel frame I've ridden, very stiff bottom bracket and good torsional rigidity. I recently rebuilt it with some Record 10-speed parts and it is now my wet weather bike, still a great ride!

The 1978 A-frame I bought specifically to be repainted. I am not a big fan of refinishing old frames but the condition of this one is bad enough to justify the repaint. The Ivory-Carmine 1979 A-frame is a new addition. The deep red carmine colour is very nice on this one and goes very well with the Campagnolo world logo chrome parts. I used the 1975 bike in the 2011 Retro Ronde van Vlaanderen. Groupset is largely pre-CPSC Campagnolo Nuovo Record with straight-lever skewers, flat-lever brake calipers and the early long-reach, pointy-tip brake levers.

Gazelle Champion Mondial A-frame - 1975
Ivory, Reynolds 531, Campagnolo pre-CPSC Nuovo Record

As I used it in the 2011 Retro Ronde van Vlaanderen:

Batavus Competition - 1977
Ishiwata 022 tubing. 1th generation Shimano 600, fully original down to the Vredestein Sprint Vederlicht tyres. (as bought)

Gazelle Champion Mondial A-frame - 1977
Golden Yellow, Reynolds 531, Suntour Superbe. Unlike most A-frames, this one has no eyelets...

Inspired by Habitual's exceptionally nice track frame. I remembered the colour from this bike in the 1978 Gazelle race catalog. Instead of the combination of Suntour, Sugino and Weinmann parts of the bike in the brochure I decided to use a full Suntour Superbe groupset as shown on the next page in the same 1978 catalog. Note the same Laprade brand seatpost on this bike as on the Peugeot PY10 below!

Update: I chose to go with a slightly newer Superbe brakeset with its distinct red pads and adjuster. The set is an early version of this type with stamped instead of the later printed logo's. The beautifully machined levers include the rare original 'SUPERBE' script hoods. Thanks to a forum member I was able to add the correct, earlier chainrings with circular groove and I also managed to find one of these oddly shaped, chromed steel Superbe headsets. Particularly the lower cup is very distinctly shaped with an almost flat top. The bike is fitted with a five-speed Suntour 'Perfect' freewheel, which incidentally runs a lot quieter than the ubiquitous Maillard 700. Now all it needs is a set of Module E2 (double eyeletted version of the 'E') rims instead of the later MA2's currently fitted. I already have one but still need another.

Gazelle A-frame - 1978
Bought to be repainted in Golden Yellow before I found the 1977er above.

Peugeot PY10EC - 1978
Reynolds 531. Full 'Spidel' group: Simplex Super LJ derailleurs including the 175 gram Delrin/alloy rear derailleur, Mafac Competition centrepull brakes, Stronglight 105 bis crankset and Maillard 700 hubs and pedals. The groupset was completed with a french Laprade brand seatpost, Ideale 2002 saddle and Philippe Professionnel handlebars and stem.

Gazelle Champion Mondial A-frame - 1979
Ivory-Carmine, Reynolds 531, Campagnolo Nuovo Record
Update: Found some nice matching red Campagnolo gear lever hoods.

Gazelle Champion Mondial AB - 1983
Gazelle-Campagnolo team colours (Ivory - Baikal blue). Reynolds 531. Mix of Campagnolo Nuovo Record & Super Record as common in the early 1980's. First version of the Selle Italia Turbo saddle. (as bought)

Gazelle Champion Mondial AA-Special - 1984
Reynolds 531. Skala team version; different decals and fork than a 'normal' AA-special. First generation (stamped logo) Campagnolo ‘180’ Record Corsa. Selle Italia Turbo SLG alloy rail saddle.

TVT/Look KG85 - 1987
Not steel, but from the same era. As ridden by Jean Francois Bernard in 1987. First used by Bernard Hinault in the 1986 Tour de France, then painted silver to match the steel Hinault brand bikes used by the La Vie Claire team.

Gazelle Démax - 1999
Reynolds 531 Trapezium (tapered). Campagnolo Record 10-speed. Custom rear brake cable guides and Gazelle/Time Club carbon fork.

Last edited:
That Gazelle is amazing...AND fitted with proto Delta brakes, which are mega rare...

PM me if you ever want to sell this bike..

Very nice...

Mark.

I like most of them, but I especially find the Vredestein and Skala Gazelle very nice. I think I do recall that Skala Gazelle from 'Stalen Ros' expo two years ago.

In my opinion the white/blue-panel paint scheme is one of the nicest Champion Mondial finishings. Dito for the cherry/white-panel and ivory/green-panel of about the vintage. I happen to be the lucky owner of a late 70s AA in white/blue-panel ...but in size 64 :?

Very tidy collection, proportions spot on and very nicely photographed - that first generation Turbo looks really good.

Elev12k":3jd3a92g said:
In my opinion the white/blue-panel paint scheme is one of the nicest Champion Mondial finishings. Dito for the cherry/white-panel and ivory/green-panel of about the vintage. I happen to be the lucky owner of a late 70s AA in white/blue-panel ...but in size 64 :?

John":3jd3a92g said:
The '83 Gazelle is especially handsome.

Totally agree about the 83 Gazelle looking just so, not so sure about 64cm being :? though, sounds like a proper man sized bike.

This is absolutely awesome! Thx

You are fine with it that I add them to our Gallery 2 Catalogue database?

Back