Retro weight weenie tips

You can save a whole lot on getting the lightest tyres you can. And wheels with not many spokes, I've got a set of Bontrager wheels with a 28 rear and a radial 24 spoke front.

WD Pro":l7wpm1lu said:
So you got the same maxxis tubes as above for £2 each ? :shock: :LOL:

Duck tape would defo be a better option than lecy tape :D

WD :D
How much.

They're ~£10 normally, I got them for about £4.50 iirc.

Lucky sod.

Yeah I got a cracker - 3 for £4 each off a trader on the bay, the boxed ones with the rim strips :cool:

One time deal though, never seen them since - my last ones came from winstanlys but your price is better ! :D

Where did you get them from as I have a set on the Marin, a set for the airborne and one spare i.e. I will only need tubes from now on, I have got enough rim strips !

FluffyChicken":vi8kb4al said:
kaiser":vi8kb4al said:
Has anyone got a recommendation for whole bike scales?

Get fishing scales from Hong Kong, will take a few weeks, but by the time the UK couriers are sorted it'll be just as quick.
Bargain and you can get down to 10g precision for a full bike if you look.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 900wt_1060
Are what I have. Tested them against some standard weights I can use and they are correct and even at the light end they are correct.
So easy to use even my 5yr old can go around the house 'taking numbers' :LOL:

:cool: Ordered :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
WD Pro":pyj4xwx7 said:
Don't know how they will last :LOL:

Any updates on how they've lasted? What's the verdict?

Noticed you're running skinny tubes - in what size tyres please?
I'm running 1.95s generally - will the 1.5-1.75 work or do I need to get the wider ones?

They have lasted well :D

Sat in the second bedroom on the Marin which is waiting for a rear mech :LOL:

The Marin is on 1.4" slicks as it will only see Tarmac now having been retired from use in the dirt :D

The second set I have is for the Airborne which is on Kendal Klimax Lite's which are sold as a 1.95" but renowned for being much thinner, 1.7" ish :D They should be mounted later this week (wheels should come on Wednesday) :cool: at this rate it will be finished before the Marin ... :oops: :LOL:

VTFoco2001":u5lrcs1n said:
Some hints from my side:

- Mount a 9sp Dura-Ace cassette (155gr.)

and if on a budget, go for ultegra.
also Procraft Superlight grips weigh only 22 gram/set, and are pretty retro-looking.
Non retro ww tires with lots of grip; Nobby Nic 1.8 (400-420 g)
Eclipse tubeless set, depending on the amount of fluid used, can be lighter than ww tubes.
A Flite carbon is not as light as SLR (170 vs 140g) but much more retro looking (imho) and cheaper than flite Evo models

Latest posts

Back