Quick but potentially stupid Seat Collar question

theboy

Senior Retro Guru
What size seat collar do I need if my (steel) frame takes a 27.0 post please???

and also, can I shim a 26.8 post out to 27.0 safely and securely (its carbon if that makes a difference?)

Many Thanks! theboy

theboy":1ztbxk6j said:
What size seat collar do I need if my (steel) frame takes a 27.0 post please???

28.6 sounds plausible to me

and also, can I shim a 26.8 post out to 27.0 safely and securely (its carbon if that makes a difference?)

Many Thanks! theboy

You will need a 0.2mm shim than :? Personally would use another post, a 27.0 or 27.2 sanded down

You can buy shim material in the form of steel sheets 0.1 mm thick. Failing that try a re-engineered can of fizzy pop.

You need to measure your existing seat clamp or the outside of the seat tube. If you've got an alloy frame, the tube will be much thicker metal than steel and you'd probably need a 31.8 clamp.

I wouldn't mess around with coke cans to shim a carbon-fibre post - you don't want anything sharp anywhere near carbon. I don't think you'll find a proper shim below 1mm, so you probably need to use another post for that frame really.

seatpost collar

I also think that it's probably a 31.8 seat collar that you need; but you'll have to meaure the actual frame because the tubes are always different depending on the manufacturer. I have stuck a 27.0 seatpost in a 27.2 frame before and it did work, so maybe you won't need a shim at all for a 26.8 into a 27.0. You'll just have to tighten really hard (although carbon makes that a tricky call.)

Back