1991 Cannondale SM700 - ridden at OWMTBC

91'dale

i would say it is the original bar, as mine which i just changed yesterday had started to go that kind of colour??

Glad i did change it as it weighed a tonne!! Also just about to change the stem to an Ahead stem as I got a 1" quill adapter from here, so that should shave a few more grams!

Nice to see you're making progress with it! :cool:

The catalogue just says "Bars: Aluminium, bulge design". Think I've got some generic silver alloy ones in the shed that I might put on simply because 20 year old alu bars make me nervous. Especially if they've changed colour :)

I'm keeping the stem on this one 'cos it's got the "green chameleon" on it. Will change the saddle because it's (a) torn and (b) ugly as sin - Turbo reissue, probably. Unless the Bontrager San Marco ones were around in 1991. Think they were a bit later, though.

Also I reckon the DX STIs will come off in favour of thumbies and Deore 2-finger levers because if I'd bought this new that's what would have happened. I _think_ I've got some old Grab-Ons lurking too :)

91 dale

nah i'm the opposite mate! I hated thumbies!! STI's rapidfire plus's all the way!! :LOL: :LOL:

Rapidfire Plus yes. First-generation push-push STI no :)

I've got a 1993 Cannondale with a 2010 transmission on it, this one's staying with old stuff ;-)

91 'dale

yeh i used to have Deore DX rapidfire's on it, but had a bad crash at 30+mph (hit a small tree stump and catapulted the bike 20 yards down the trail!!!) broke a bar end and the left hand STI! thankfully everything else was fine :shock:

An update, although bereft of pictures because I forgot to take any, and it's dark now. Trying to get this up together for OWMTBC this weekend, so time is short :)

Stripped it all down, gave the bits a decent (but not obsessive - like I say, time is short) clean. Stripped and regreased the front hub, which turned out to be perfectly OK inside, just badly adjusted. Didn't take the rear apart, just nipped the cones up a bit. Ditched the pie plate :) Took the forks out to touch the paint up (just a quick sand of the bare bits and a dab of Plastikote for now - not great but beats bare metal) and the bottom race came out in bits. Happened to have a new 1in Ritchey headset doing nothing, so wanged that in. DX STI units need attention, bike now wearing XT thumbies and SS-7s (a tad early, but I'm not going to sweat it) with some chunky Grab-Ons to finish off. Took off awful tyres, have nothing of appropriate vintage so it'll be on modern Contis for now.

The Aerator post will be a project all of its own, I suspect - at the moment the guts are on a shelf. Need to rummage out some sort of saddle to replace the rather forlorn Vetta. May have to raid a San Marco Bontrager off another bike...

Will try and grab a couple of snaps tomorrow :)

Hurriedly munged into a ridable state for OWMTBC - not very shiny, but nothing fell off :)

Attachments

• _MG_1107_edit.jpg
    _MG_1107_edit.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 2,772
Nice looking bike, loved the mint sauce stickers. Harks back to a day when cannondale were still very cool.

Reckon you should stick with the steel forks given it's colour matched.

You'd have been alright with us on the sunday on the dale - all we saw of Penmachno was fireroad.

Aye, the forks are staying. They need a bit of tidying, which'll be lots of touching in to avoid the splattery bits... The Mint sticker on the seat tube is actually concealing a rather messy bit where the rivnut bottle boss had pulled through, but don't tell anyone.

I drove to the start of Penmachno and rode from there, no navigational issues that way :)

MikeD":3eq97zad said:
Aye, the forks are staying. They need a bit of tidying, which'll be lots of touching in to avoid the splattery bits... The Mint sticker on the seat tube is actually concealing a rather messy bit where the rivnut bottle boss had pulled through, but don't tell anyone.

I drove to the start of Penmachno and rode from there, no navigational issues that way :)

With hindsight despite the 2 maps, Multimap GPS and mobile GPS somehow starting from the start might've been preferable, yes. Still I think the good people of North Wales will have thanked many of us from not driving Sunday morning.

Back