Marin 1990 Bear Valley Rebuild - FINISHED !!! PAGE 38 !!!

Mark65":3tjgs2mh said:
:shock: oh my.... u cannot ride that really, please dont

What?? Why the hell not? If I'd put that amount of work into a project I'd ride the hell out of it!
I cant think of a bigger frustration than spending all that time making it perfect (well, it would be with some skin-walls ;) ) and then just sitting looking at it :?
Get it finished quick, get a pic of you riding it and then put it in BOTM. You'll get to win it twice then :D

Holy Sh*t! Hats off to you WD I have followed this build and re-read it loads of times, still makes my jaw drop every time. Attention to detail is just superb. Look forward to seeing the build complete.

Shame about all the grease that its covered in! ;)

Forgot to mention, aligning the back of the chainring bolts is a nice touch.

Just started on your Proflex build and that looks like it will be a winner too. Nice one.

I have just read all this thread for the first time and :shock: :shock: :shock: I NEVERthought that a bear valley could look this awesome :cool: hats of to you as it took me ages to do my last build and looking at yours has made me want to start all over again :cry:

Nope :oops: The morning was spent helping a fellow RB'r and the afternoon cleaning yellow overspray off a purple car (about 2/3rds done - it's a big car ... :LOL: ), Lego land kids party tommorrow morning, shelves to put up in the afternoon, hopefully get the car finished and then cut the lawn to ... not looking good for a weekend Marin completion is it :LOL:

WD :D

Not finished yet … Sorry … :oops: :LOL:

A bit of bad planning on my behalf, but I started to wonder about crimping the Ti bars with the bar ends, asking a few questions on here confirmed that it be the most probable outcome :-( but could it be avoided with the use of BERTS :D

2 sets of BERTS soon turned up courtesy of ekiborter :cool: :cool:

As it turns out the BERTS are for the Titec / Bontrager 118g butted bars where I had the 150g plain gauge bars and the Ti flex stem bar / stem combo – therefore the diameters were a little bit big and they needed turning down to suit.

I found (what I thought at first to be useful) information on the bikepro site about the Titec diameters and wall thickness etc but the sums / measurements / components didn’t match up :? :-(

Taking an average ID of the bars and a average wall thickness based on 22.2mm OD my bars measured came out with a ID of 20.35mm

I turned the BERTS down to 20.32mm (I have access to a lathe again :cool:) which allowed me to push them about half way in by hand before they got really tight. This seemed like it was going to work well so I covered them in Loctite and whacked them in :LOL:

Standard BERTS and one modified BERT at the point where they got ‘tight’ :

DSC05478.jpg

I know 271 isn’t really supposed to be a ‘retainer’ but A) it’s the best I had at home and B) I don’t think they will move, even without any Loctite on at all :LOL:

DSC05480.jpg

After practicing on the Titec bars (for another project ;-)) I set about the BERTS for the Marin (meaning the stem had to come apart, again … :LOL:)

DSC05507.jpg

So onto the controls etc – really happy with the finished look of the machined mounts :

DSC05519.jpg

DSC05517.jpg

DSC05510.jpg

The grips etc are on now to but no pics :-(

After looking around for ages for the correct forks, guess what I found NOS to keep as spares (courtesy of sstoz_tes) …

DSC05469.jpg

DSC05471.jpg

DSC05473.jpg

DSC05475.jpg

WD :D

Latest posts

Back