Respray or re-engineer old Bontrager Privateer

jimc101

Devout Dirtbag
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster

I have recently picked up a 1996 Privateer, and an considering options on it. The frame is structurally fine, but really needs a respray.

Considering options, to leave as is, with just a respray, or getting a rear disc mount fitted.

Has anyone any experience in getting a disc mount fitted or can suggest where to get new decals and a good respray.

thanks

Have a word with Gil_m on this site. He does a cracking line in replacement decals, and I think he had a bonty with disc tab welded on so should be able to tell you. I'd say go for it. The privateer is a more robust bike than the Race line up and so should be thrashed proper like, if that means discs then do it, and if you're respraying then it makes sense to do it all at once. Dave Yates or Argos would get my vote to do the work.

Not actually done it myself, but asked Argos in Bristol who will weld a mount and extra bracing tube between seatstay and chainstay (as I was advised by keith bontrager himself after a few envelope calculations) for a decent price, and do a lovely (though not super tough) paint job for quite a bit more - or you could get them to do welding and get a cheap powdercoat. In the end I bought a racelite with the job already done by a northern frame builder - bob jackson? - and very well it works too.

ian

good frame, i had one but that was a trek-made bontrager; not particularly desireable relative to a race or race lite. my vote would be to mod and respray it.

This did me proud for a good few years and is still going strong, no problems with then disc mount, work was done by Paul Donohue in Bishop Auckland, sadly, he is no longer building frames

Oh yes, stickers by me :)

Attachments

• IMAG0151b.jpg
    IMAG0151b.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 1,267
Bontrager Privateer repaint

Could also try to e-mail Bontrager / Trek to see if you can get replacement stickers before you decide to respray or powdercoat.

Back