Try Again

Mark65

Retro Guru
Hi
Well since the last visit over a year ago when things went tits (redundant and family problems)up life has settled again, sooo while i was mooching in the garage i started to think about my old p7 f+f, and next thing im stripping with nitromoors, have found a place that powdercoats near me but they are on holiday but apparantly he does a good job. Now i have the f+f and the seat post shims a pair of 94 deore xt parrelex hubs which are smooth a silk still on mavic 230 and 221 rims, and a pair of xt 7speed thumbies in excellent nick apart from the adjuster on the front mech one a bit chewed and also a 12-23 hyperglide cassette 7 speed to go with hubs.So im thinking either single speed it or just have a single chainset with a 7 speed deraliur on the back. Now as much as i liked the purple clour it used to be i was thinking a nice lime green or white but not sure yet. Frame number is A4060054.
Now the first thing i need to source will be a 1inch headset, i have found a ritchey one on google or some tange levin but it needs to be the same height as the old Shimano STX that was on there. so i will finish the nooks an crannys get it painted and order decals from gil_m, here is some piccys of the start.
Mark

Hmm piccys wont load

Try again

Attachments

• IMG_2083 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2083 (Small).JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,081
  • IMG_2085 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2085 (Small).JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,081
  • IMG_2089 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2089 (Small).JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,081
  • IMG_2091 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2091 (Small).JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,081
There is something satisfying about stripping knackered paint from a frame. Enjoy the project.. Building is half the fun, and the reason I have 10 bikes.

Front whell spokes are not as stainless as they should be but at 16 years old, i wonder about the ally rims will they still be worth using or suffer from ally fatigue?, got to strip and regrease hubs so i may hve new rims put on, i have a spare xt 9 or 10 speed hub in a box for some reason looks brand new :shock: , any way ny one know the stack height of the old stx headset?.
Ta
Mark

good to hear things are back on track and good luck, frame looks nice bare ;)

let me know how you get on powdercoating as im going to do the same very soon with a frame of mine

Okies i stripped hubs today, they are ok but i need new bearings front and rear and rthe rear need a new cone on the cassete side as its pitted, gonna troll some bike shops tomm to see if i can pick some bits up.

Mark

Mark65":1bgsyghq said:
... a 1inch headset, i have found a ritchey one on google or some tange levin but it needs to be the same height as the old Shimano STX that was on there. ...

yep, same here - IRC you need 37mm SH and a Tange Levin seems a good match. I'm also contemplating an alloy Stronglight A9, which although not intended for heavy off-road use would be fine for my purposes and looks a treat.

Hey all
Got a quote from a powder coater in wigan £30 for white or black or £40 for other solid colours, he showed me some gates they had just done in black and it looked like gloss paint.
So which colour, here are some im thinking off, Ral
2000,2004,2009,6002 or white or black :?
What do you think, kinda like the orange with black decals.

Mark

Back