1994 mountain cycle san andreas - update 28th april

Beauty and the beast. ;) Most excellent work there dood. :cool:

You'll have to let us know how they compare when you get a chance to ride them.

will do, already the silver one seems half the weight of bumblebee so thats a relief........plus it will climb better as its a air shock, and i like my air shocks pretty stiff.

getting gil_m to sort out some retro decals for it too hopefully.

It's a great looking bike, but two things look out of place to me.

One is the stem, which looks way too long and flat. That Z1 must be well longer than what the frame was designed for and contributes to the very high bottom bracket that you mention. Combine that with the resulting slack head angle and I reckon you need a shorter stem with rise to get the steering sharp enough for purpose and locate your centre of gravity in the right place.

The other is the tyres which look good but are surely too skinny? They look out-faced by what's going on around them.

Funnily enough, I've got two alloy Z2 steerers that are too long for me and I've been trying to swap for shorter as it seemed wasteful to cut them. But no takers! I'm not sure it would be all that easy to swap with you though, because I don't want the Z1 crown which is a fair bit beefier than a Z2 crown.

Last time I looked, you could still get the steerers from CRC, £30 steel, £60 alloy. If Sithlord has a good hydraulic press, it's just a matter of pressing that one out and the new one in. They're not exactly keen to move, but if the press is strong enough, they can't exactly argue.

Anthony":1g76m7fj said:
Last time I looked, you could still get the steerers from CRC, £30 steel, £60 alloy. If Sithlord has a good hydraulic press, it's just a matter of pressing that one out and the new one in. They're not exactly keen to move, but if the press is strong enough, they can't exactly argue.

I believe those steerers are designed for forks with a replaceable steerer like my (stamped) '98 Z2 BAM. They actually specify the steerer is for forks where they bolt in to the crown. All in one crown/steerers were also available.

Tallpaul":2hkd5319 said:
Anthony":2hkd5319 said:
I believe those steerers are designed for forks with a replaceable steerer like my (stamped) '98 Z2 BAM. They actually specify the steerer is for forks where they bolt in to the crown. All in one crown/steerers were also available.
You may well know more than me Paul, but it certainly used to be the case that Windwave would swap steerers for you, retaining your own crown (replaceable or non) . I have also liberated an alloy Z2 steerer from a cracked 'non-replace' crown and put it into a 'replace' crown in place of a steel steerer. It fits perfectly and if there is any difference between the steerers used in replace crowns and the ones used in non-replace crowns, I for one can't see it.

But then my eyes aren't as good as yours, we know that!

I didn't know that the rear shocl was fox… I thought it was urethane…

Suspender UD fork front ? ;)

newer bombers on today with adjustable travel........80mm or 100mm so ideal with the lower travel risse rear air shock.

this will be my main retro rider......retro frame but modern touch for safety.......discs, suspension etc :cool:

28032010623.jpg

28032010622.jpg

28032010624.jpg

Back