1996 Klein Adroit - Strata fork, XTR, Mavic 231, Burg/Blue

That's a nice build and pretty seldom seen as almost all '96 Adroits are built with XT M737. Talking of which, I would love to see one with originally specced XT/Tune setup.
I pondered using M900 in my Adroit but since it came with XT M737 and my parts were M900, not period correct M910, I chose to stick with the XTs. And will be building it with blue Tune parts too...

One nitpick though - the saddle positioning looks horrible. Is the bike too large for you?

jeff, wonderful burgundy adroit in stunning condition, as already stated in the other thread.

allow me some nit-picking also from my side:

- cablehangers: avid tri align is a good idea (mojos better fit a yeti) - but i think better in silver because of not other blue parts. also should be brought nearer to the tire to have an effective triangle and the main cable not cut flush, better let some overlap and use a ferrule at the cable end.
- sadle position: as already said, you may verify - currently you are barely behind the bottom bracket with the sadle nose...frame size might be at the very (lower) limit for you...
- outer cables: woven jagwires look quite modernish...same cable also available in complete black, may look more decent
- position of seatpost quick release: align with seatpost?
- valve caps: dispensable?
- would prefer short cage rear mech but this is now REALLY nit-picking

and you didn`t like the sound of chris king hubs ? :shock:
..."it rolls good with angry bee sound"...:
http://chrisking.com/store/t_shirts/t_angrybee

happy trails!

What a beautyfull frame and fork !! OK, the whole bike looks great actually.. :D :D

Never knew that Tune came on 'stock' bikes BITD, but that realy might set it apart.

If you ever can find some of those 'Mr. Spock ears' canti's..

and Tune hubs are great also, as I know from experiance. I would go for the Tune/Shimano mix combo. Not easy to find perhaps, but realy worth it !!

I posted a pic of the 'Mr. Spock ears' for those who are not familiar with 'm. I think they look great and I remember them working OK.

Attachments

• Sticky Craze 1 (60%).jpg
    Sticky Craze 1 (60%).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 9,181
for the cabling:
i used modern shimano dura ace road brake and shifting outer cables on my coral reef attitude.
for me this is a quite good alternative in terms of looks and fit with M900, when no period correct cables are at hand. i have worn m900 cabling here and compared them, they look quite similar except for the lettering of course.

cimg0004e.jpg

The Tune cranks look like Cook Brothers, but more elegant and lighter. The Tunes weigh in at just a few gramms under 400.

Tune Hubs are light and last for ages. I have a '93 MAG (one of the first) that has been abused for several years. Now it's having a rest in my ched.
Normally I ride with Tune MAG170 (with the carbon axle and ceramic bearings) and a MIG70 (703gr + 601gr for the complete wheels). These work great for years now. Except... lately the flange of the 170 cracked. A friend (also my wheelbuilder http://www.bikeboosting.nl) was surprised as he never seen this before...

...just to say Tune makes quality stuff... :D

But as you say, it's difficult to find the 'older' Tune parts. Maybe check on eBay.de more often..?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: 1996 Klein Adroit - 20", XTR, Mavic 231, Burg/Blue,

quote: "The bike came w/ a set of Ringle 3 hole quick releases and a purple anodized seat bolt. At first sight, it just seemed a little too much purple for me, but I thought I might be able to get used to it. "

If you were concerned about too much purple, take a look at my '96. Some of the parts weren't really period correct and nobody liked all of the purple, but these were all of my dream parts from the mid-nineties so I decided to give it a try.

Attachments

• adroit7.jpg
    adroit7.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 3,161
try filling the king hubs with heavy mineral oil. It should quiet them down substantially without compromising much of anything.

Back