Rocky Mountain - Altitude 1991 - Up and running and changing still...

Unfortunately this has not moved along much, other than cleaning up parts.
I have some new grips for the shifter, bars and some new bars as the one's pictured in the first post are way too short.

I'm just finding it expensive :(

Managed to get the Ti Rear mech hanger bolt out of the XTR mech, but it's going to be some work to make it smooth again. The Ti I guess had bonded to the steel after lack of use (and abuse). Front mech is tidy though.

Rims are shagged, and £80 for a new set of cheap modern one's (F&R) is out of my reach at the moment. OR £135 for some one's I would prefer to put on it.

Going to move along to my old man's unused Marin and fit some Judy shox I bought, but need to convert it to threadless, so headset (£15 for a cheap m-system, and £10 for a RaceFace stem seems fine)

then I'll attack the Fusion, but the groupset is worn out I think (XC Comp).

Then back to the Altitude, just finding it hard to put lesser parts on to it :oops:

anyways, just thought I would update.

patience. Trawl ebay and the classifieds here for the bits you want. You are right though, you shouldnt put lesser parts on it, if its worth doing, its worth doing proper.

Oh, Yellow and Red Rockys are cool.

hmm

I'd go with crossrides or just get some new rims...

it doesn't look that bad! just get some autsol some time off, and grease everything up... Rear mech's just need some attention of being used...

maybe a new chain or something.

I would sort it out for u if you were in sweden!

Re: hmm

captain8track":isx3op5y said:
I'd go with crossrides or just get some new rims...

it doesn't look that bad! just get some autsol some time off, and grease everything up... Rear mech's just need some attention of being used...

maybe a new chain or something.

I would sort it out for u if you were in sweden!

It isn't that bad, it's just the cost of what needs putting right :LOL:
Grease, oil, anti-seize, brake and gear cables and a new chain suddenly add up to me = skint again.

Add in some new rims & spokes and a the time for me to build them (can buy custom builds from merlin for a similar price that includes building and new hubs)

Then tyres nowadays are so expensive
:shock: . Just a pair of them wipes out another month overtime. Was looking at the Continental Travel Contact Winters (for some get fit on it) are £55
I can get away without any for now though.

Also noticed a clicking in one of the MAG21 legs, hence buying some '95 Judy's, but they are going to raise the front end up to far (it's already up slightly with the MAG's (this is a '91 frame). So the Judys are going somewhere else, probably the Marin, but maybe the Fusion is that's not really for me but the wife.
Getting a stretch of time to rebuild the forks and see why they are clicking (3.5yr old and 6 month old son's do not help here :D ).

But I've so far enjoyed dismantling it, looking and searching on here :)

Scant I see no crossmax in your big long list. After silver hubs, silver spokes and either silver or black rims (I've always had silver but the original manufacture build would have had black rims.

I would use the Fusions XC Comp/Mavic 231 wheels, but the rear has an 7speed screw on with snapped sprockets :(

Re: hmm

FluffyChicken":3jgyha4y said:
Crossrides are out of my price league,
Scant I see no crossmax in your big long list. After silver hubs, silver spokes and either silver or black rims (I've always had silver but the original manufacture build would have had black rims.

I would use the Fusions XC Comp/Mavic 231 wheels, but the rear has an 7speed screw on with snapped sprockets :(

they're not in my big list as i've only just decided to sell them ;)

since u directed someone to this thread, i thought it needed a BUMP for an UPDATE!

so what's happening??? :LOL:

It is just a 'built to ride' setup.

It would have had M900 put back on it at some point, but that is now out of the question.. now as the LH crank is cracking and the freehub is cracking, so it's going on the Fusion.

Most recent photo is, er...

Though a few things have changed since then (of course)
It still awaits me to build a matching rim up for the back, currently running the M900 rebuilt on to a 231CD as it'll be going on to the Fusion (which is where the 231CD came from).

From memory,
Tires have changed, though look the same.
I changed the chainrings to Middleburn SS, but it's a funny bronze/grey colour. Slightly better than the black one here to me but I still think I prefer silver or red.
Cables are not cut as they are switching to some 9speed XT RF and the gripshifts are going on the other bike and an outer casing needs trimming for the front mech as well.
I need handlebar endplugs, but the ones I have fall out, lol.

It rides better than I thought it would*, actually really nicely after a bit of tweaking to stop the front being twitchy, though forks may turn to red to match the rear. Need to spray some legs up for that to happen.
Or it may go back to the MAG21's (now I have an SL steerer).

Handlebars are way way wide, I'm used to narrow one's.

If the weather stays good I'll get some pictures up, there are a few others on the forum somewhere.

Sometimes it looks really nice, sometime it looks crap as the frame is very much used. The yellow also behaves oddly in different lights, almost gets a green tinge to it especially indoors.

*because the forks are 60mm not 50mm like I thought they would be, the stem also has a rise.

Attachments

• 118small.jpg
    118small.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 2,681
FluffyChicken":3s6q5e39 said:
Curiosity, anyone know what this inner ring is and how good. I cannot remember why it is there but I've found the original XTR inner ring to replace it.

Sakae Ninja... I think that's pretty much the same as the inner ring I've had since forever. Stamped stainless steel I think, but will probably outlast pretty much anything.

DoctorRad":1laqyu10 said:
FluffyChicken":1laqyu10 said:
Curiosity, anyone know what this inner ring is and how good. I cannot remember why it is there but I've found the original XTR inner ring to replace it.

Sakae Ninja... I think that's pretty much the same as the inner ring I've had since forever. Stamped stainless steel I think, but will probably outlast pretty much anything.

Yes :) It all came back to me a while after I started getting it out. I could remember Onza's
It was on because it's 24 tooth and the XTR is 26 tooth.

Back