Another Panasonic(?) Raleigh

Now we can see it properly it looks fine. Not half bad as they say, especially as it was free!

This is my first post so hello every one, really getting into your site.

my friend has been postiing for me about the bike above that i was given. I bought some new tires as the ones on it were starting to perish but when i came to fit them the tyres that were already on it are tyres and inner tubes all in one and glued to the rims so cannot put regular tyres on.

There is no lip for the wheels to hold the new tyres in place or to fit an inner tube. I've never come across this before can anyone enlighten me a little? What do you do if you get a puncture etc?

Can i get new wheels that will fit a six speed cassette or can you buy new combo tyres and inner tubes for my old rims.

thanks

Sorry seem to be a little premature on the post done a little research and have found that i can still gat hold of these tubular tyres so i can keep the bike as it came to me.

As far as i can tell there made by universal, its the common name on both the brakes and levers. Thats all i know really.

I did find this web site www.classiclightweights.co.uk/universal.html which made me think that the manufacturer was universal but none on there looked anything like what i have. If anyone could shed any light on these brakes that would be great. I'll get a picture of the levers prob for next weekend i'm away from home at the moment.

The brake stirrups could well be Dia-Compe as the 'Universal' shoe height adjusters look very similar to the type on the 'Aero Gran Compe' model. Also the little 'tit' on the centre bolt is Dia-Compe style. Is the lettering actually 'AERO' on the face of the stirrup? They are possibly an 'aero' version of the Gran-Compe model, possibly from the mid/late 80's as they don't appear in my 1984 catalogue.

I'm not sure about the brake levers though. They don't look like a Dia-Compe model, could they be CLB? Strange that they could be a different make to the stirrups

If you are replacing the tyres, PLEASE remember to use the correct tubular tyre cement to stick them on with. If you don't they will roll off with dire consequences. You must also clean off the old cement first (use petrol or similar as it's rubber based). It's all a bit of a 'faff' but necessary. Some 'Vittoria Rally' tubulars are good value, available from Wiggle etc. They also go on reasonably straight first time.

Back