'MY' 1948 rudge whitworth

That doesn't need much at all. Squirt of oil in the hub (gear oil, not engine oil!), a breath of air in the tyres and you're in business.
Of course, if you did want to do a nut and bolt restoration I have a **huge** collection of NOS parts. ;)

My Dad has one very similar i have been trying to blag for ages it belonged to my Grandfather just sat in the garage collecting dust...SHAME.

The only ones that sell are either in bits or so pristine, sunglasses are required.
God knows what will happen to this one,i can only hope my sister sees sense before it rots away
:(

Nice bike but not uncommon, its a Raleigh in disguise, Rudge Whitworth were from Coventry but Raleigh bought them out before the war and thus post war they were Nottingham built examples of Badge Engineering :roll:

Consequently there are many of them out there usually abandoned in sheds and cellars etc

Personally a pre war Humber would be my choice or a New Gerard from Edinburgh I think, or even one built by the Wright Brothers :D

i know this thread is a little old, but i'm new here so it's fresh to me.... anything british w/out a 'raleigh' badge is pretty unusual for us. built this one a few months ago. the headbadge and chainring get a lot of attention :)

DSC01684.jpg

DSC01687.jpg

7x":mk7ytl8t said:
i know this thread is a little old, but i'm new here so it's fresh to me.... anything british w/out a 'raleigh' badge is pretty unusual for us. built this one a few months ago. the headbadge and chainring get a lot of attention :)

DSC01684.jpg

DSC01687.jpg

Boootiful bike! Sterling build. That burgundy paint - Is it powdercoated RAL 3007?

dyna-ti":xomm5pdx said:
But whats that behind the headtube? :?

It's a lock - to stop the Oliver Twist, hovis-nabbing lil' blighters of the day, or rather "owwt nickin me bike lad, you ear!"

the paint is original- after a lot of time spent polishing away grime and haze (unfortunately the pinstriping went as well). the stem is just a lucky rattle can close match from the auto parts store. btw, the photos are very flattering to the finish..... ;)

Back