What was Your teen bike dream? Is the reality as good?

I will find a Zinn one day :D

Did the Rocky Mountains include Richard Lewis's Cirrus? remember him riding that into school, mmmmmm Syncros forks!

Stu

JS1500":2sgzw5df said:
I always wanted a Fuquay aswell, ever since riding with a guy who had one.
It just looked RIGHT and had the nicest single-colour paintjob i've ever seen.
SWEET! :cool:

If you ever see a Fuquay buy it, the one I bought off Jez is great, use it more than any of my other retro bikes, it's light even with a USE SSP fitted :D

Stu

Fame :cool:

Still haven't sorted any decals for it yet (tut,tut!), the USE SSP is going to find a new home on another project and a shiny silver post will replace it.

Similar fate for the purple Middleburns, they'll be replaced with a set of shiny silver Deore DX cranks, the Exage front mech will also be swapped for a vintage XTR one........these changes will make it even more useable for forthcoming retro rides :D

Stu

I always dreamed of having a Ritchey MTB. That fantasy started back in the era of the Timber Comp and Commando.

I now own a Project-20, Plexus and ST. They've all lived up to my fantasy and then some. In fact, the relatively unique geometry of the Ritchey frames has set my standard for others.

Great thread :cool:

The Pandora's Box of Retro Biking eh.. Do you get that which you always desired.. Hmm..

I seem to have lusted after heaps of bikes BITD.. Highlights of which are..

Fat Chance Shock-A-Billy [AMP & Rocker versions]
Fat Chance Yo! Eddy [just bought, not yet ridden]
Fat Chance Ti Fat [I want Jez's]
'90 Rocky Mountain Blizzard [with Syncros fork]
'90 GT Team Avalanche [have a Psyclone, not yet ridden]
'89 Yeti Fro [w/ Accutrax, XT build]
'89 Fisher Paragon [Prestige, XT.. Perfect]
Early 90s Klein Attitude [Green/White/Pink please]*
'98 IF Deluxe [owned a '01 model]

I'm on the look out for a nice Attitude, but not keen to sate the Fat S.A.B. thirst, just not sure they had the whole FS thing sorted back then; how many pivots? :roll:

* This needs to be bought as I simply wanna know how good they really are ;)

[edit: few more bikes have come to mind ;) ]

King, the AMP-based bikes, especially those utilizing AMP manufactured rear triangles and pivot locations, ride exceptionally well in my experience (my experience being a Fat SAB [B2], Alpine Design Phat Cat [B3], Basso Titanium FS [B3] and AMP B4).

I think Horst Leitner and the boys at AMP did it right the first time and Specialized quickly began to tighten their exclusive access to the patent. The effort over the years by varying builders to develop the most efficient FS design has been, more accurately, an effort to develop the most efficient "non-Horst Link" design.

I don't doubt there may be better designs in recent years for long-travel bikes, but when it comes to short-travel XC FS designs I feel the AMP and its Horst link pivot location is still one of the most efficient. And most are damn light to boot!

we sell the direct decendant to the AMP..the nicolai helius cc. karl nicolai was the chap horst worked with on the famous linkage design, & as far as sus. bikes go, anything horst-linked & well designed single pivots rock. everything else is just marketing! (but that just my professional opinion-dont bite me for it!)

hey stu, it was damian that had the cirrus, richard had a the e-stay prestige model, cant remember which! im gona get pics though! :D

Back