What was Your teen bike dream? Is the reality as good?

I always dreamed about the Fats, Salsas, Paces, Bontragers, Litespeeds, Merlins, etc - but because I never ever thought I'd own one, I didn't give them as much attention as those that were just out of my grasp... of which the 1993 Kona (groan!) Kilauea was the top of the heap - it was something I could realistically aspire to! Never owned one, never even seen one in the metal, probably never will... :(

If anyone could scan the MBUK test it was reviewed in I'd be very grateful!

Having said that, now I own a Yo, it fully lives up to all the reviews I read of it...

Oh and still love a Xizang... but will I ever get one?
Still have a Zaskar eh.. frame, hanging on the wall.

Yeti ARC-AS -

I built up a Gary Fisher over a couple years with all turquoise Ringle, Cook's etc..., with it in mind that I'd get an ARC-AS frame at some point. The Fisher was stolen, and I abandoned the idea - then law school hit like a ton of bricks and I abandoned pretty much everything worth a damn for 3 years. About a month out of school, and 5 years since my bike was ripped off, I wandered into a shop in the neighborhood and - BAM - the owner had his old ARC-AS for sale.

Over the last 2 + years I've been trolling e-bay for the parts, and my lucks been decent, but not great, that is, until I sent the frame to Spectrum for a fresh powder coat last month and turquoise started blooming all over the place. After a couple weeks, I picked up a couple things that had eluded me and had everything lined up, except the E cranks, which I felt like getting a hold of in turquoise, never mind in great condition, was just too much wishful thinking. Then 2 weeks ago - BAM - and I win (or the seller does, as far as my wife is concerned).

Frame will be back and dressed by the end of the month. I was juiced even before the Cook's came into the picture, believe me. But now, with all the pieces in place, the only thing I can compare it to is that old, potent, 100 proof, X-mas Eve feeling that was more or less diluted a split second after the first time a girl made me feel a little bit funny on the inside.

So yeah, the reality is pretty sweet.

Also wanted an RC100, just like retrobikeguys BOTY, but then who in the UK didnt..

Also wanted a red RC200.... but never got one, that desire has faded now anyway.

I saw an Ibis in whistler (prob 12+ years ago) with a dark brown and 'cappucino' cream paintjob, i dont know what model it was, or what components it was built with.... but whatever it was i still want it.

I would prob want a clockwork if i didnt own one, was never exactly a dream bike but always liked them ethos. NB I dont think clockworks should ever have xtr fitted. think it misses the point

Only dissapointment for me was a riding Klein, nowadays I admire the paint work but have no desire to own or ride one.

I still want a early 90s RM Attitude. and a Monster Fat in that murky sandy colour they used, and pretty much any rigid Ibis i could get my grimey mitts on...

EDIT: There are loads more, but we'd be here all day

Always been a GT lover, I lusted after a Psyclone in Team Scream paint, and a Xizang.

Maybe one day I will own both and hoping to own them in 10 years or so.

I´ve already had bought a Zaskar, Avalanche, STS DH and it will be some more bikes before I stop.

I always wanted a Fuquay aswell, ever since riding with a guy who had one.
It just looked RIGHT and had the nicest single-colour paintjob i've ever seen.
SWEET! :cool:

first bike i ever wanted was the first atb i saw, a 15speed, bull-bar peugeot, going for £180!

imagine my disgust when my dad got me a cheap-ass racer, (which i crashed into a car, outside the shop) then bought my brother a raleigh memphis!!

after my first proper mtb (ridgeback 602lx) & a muddyfox alu pro, i got my dream bike, (muddyfox got "stolen" ;) ) a zinn z-centuar, decked out with a full campag groupo & an upgrade to 1st gen. pace RC35s. (bought with reduncy money from 1st bikeshop job)

i felt bloody lucky to have such nice bike, but then my ridding buddies were both on rocky mountains! theres got nicked, & i cracked mine after nailing it in a xc race.

alas, i have photos of the zinn, which soon i will post! (just for you, stu :D ) gota say, if i still had that bike, id swap it for a GT LTS DH anyday!

Back