How to build up early 90s Gios Compact?

joe1983

Retro Guru
Hi, recently bough an early 90s Gios Compact and would like to build this up with period parts. Which bits/groupsets should I be looking at? Is it going to be stupidly expensive to do this? I would like to keep it all Italian if possible

Cheers,

Joe

I'm no expert.
My thoughts though.
Must be campag - Athena or Chorus 8 speed, and get Ergos's
If you just have a frame, I may suggest getting a whole bike off the bay, then stripping the parts. Campag stuff keeps it's price, but will last ages if the intention is to ride the bike.
Cheers
J.

I'd be tempted to consider early 9 speed as well as finding Campag 8s cassettes is getting tricky.

If you go for ergos, look for the ones with pointy tops. There are plenty available. They are rebuildable inside (unlike ShimaNO) and very robust.

The chainsets didn't change much in over 10 years, so any square taper chainset will do.

Thanks for the replies everyone, if you don't mind me asking what are the wheels and brake levers on your Gios? Hoping to have mine built soon as the plan is to do the Manchester - Blackpool on it

the brake levers are Modolo - can be had fairly cheaply on ebay. The wheels - they are hand built tubular rims (Ambrosio F20) on American Classic hubs. not retro by age but are by looks and are super light to boot! (c. 1350 grams for the pair). If you are intending to use yours for long distance rides, clinchers would perhaps be a better choice - see here for a good wheel builder www.wheelsmith.co.uk who will build to your needs. Maybe Ambrosio clincher rims shod with Veloflex Pave tyres would be a good, retro looking fully-Italian choice :)

Ambrosio rims are great - I use Excellence and they withstand the 5-10 cattle grids I have to cross on each ride!

Well I have just bought this:

!BSeNSngBGk~$(KGrHgoH-EEEjlLlyg1NBKDYBGOYbQ~~_3.JPG

And I'll be using all the C-record bits to build up the Gios - should turn out nicely with a bit of luck!

If you don't need those pedals I can find a good home for them.

I have some spare Time pedals which are spot on period correct, but the back plates are missing.

That kit on the Gios will be absolutely spot on.

Back