How easy is it to build a mountain bike??

if your a confident fettler it shouldnt be too much of a struggle and a lot of the info can be found or were only too happy to answer any specific question you come to

perry":1q8hq14z said:
if your a confident fettler it shouldnt be too much of a struggle and a lot of the info can be found or were only too happy to answer any specific question you come to

Think i might go for a ready bike so i can get straight back riding again but if can't find what i want might have to have rethink.

rojo":3qppirki said:
Does anyone know anywhere else apart from ebay for bikes??

Check the forsale section here, Pickle has a number of complete bikes for sale at the moment. And I think he rides around that sort of size.

JeRkY":1lr78tbd said:
rojo":1lr78tbd said:
Does anyone know anywhere else apart from ebay for bikes??

Check the forsale section here, Pickle has a number of complete bikes for sale at the moment. And I think he rides around that sort of size.

Ok will have a look dirtjumper member had the ideal bike for me but he not selling now :( :(

What make of bike is best to go for??? I love kona but are there any other good makes???

rojo, put you r location in, the folks here at retrobike are a nice bunch even if if never met them. Someone may be down the road from you or near you and may love to have a fettle and chat to help you build up a bike (and may have the all important tools)

I'm 5' 9½" and I ride a 20" bike, I have a 18½" bike also of a similar design that is ridable as long as the seatpost is very long but really is too small, fun but too small. Both retro ('91/'92).

So use the 19/20" only as a guide. The only way is to try them out, if you have any old pictures of the Kona you had post them and people here are pretty good at telling you what size it'll be. That and every other last bit of details even down to tube thickness it had :D

I wouldn't have a clue what size I would ride with a modern setup as the frame design have changed and the front especially has altered. I would have to go to a Local Bike Store, even <god forbid, (Cardiff excluded ;)> Halfords.

So another way would be to go to a local retrobike meet if there is on and try them out.

Of course, buy and sell on if it's not right works as well.

FluffyChicken":23ymaql9 said:
rojo, put you r location in, the folks here at retrobike are a nice bunch even if if never met them. Someone may be down the road from you or near you and may love to have a fettle and chat to help you build up a bike (and may have the all important tools)

I'm 5' 9½" and I ride a 20" bike, I have a 18½" bike also of a similar design that is ridable as long as the seatpost is very long but really is too small, fun but too small. Both retro ('91/'92).

So use the 19/20" only as a guide. The only way is to try them out, if you have any old pictures of the Kona you had post them and people here are pretty good at telling you what size it'll be. That and every other last bit of details even down to tube thickness it had :D

I wouldn't have a clue what size I would ride with a modern setup as the frame design have changed and the front especially has altered. I would have to go to a Local Bike Store, even <god forbid, (Cardiff excluded ;)> Halfords.

So another way would be to go to a local retrobike meet if there is on and try them out.

Of course, buy and sell on if it's not right works as well.

Ok cool i live in exmouth devon. I am sure i have some photos of old bike somewhere so will upload when i find them. It wasn't a massive frame because the seat post was quite long. Comfortable ride.

well say building bikes from parts is pretty straight forward, but probably would be more cost effective to buy a complete bike.
only thing i would say is if you do buy a used bike, the bits you might have to work on will likely be the most awkward bits of a full build anyway.
problems i have had in the past are usually to do with parts that need specific tools, but to be honest any multi tool will probably be ok for bolting parts onto a frame cos almost everything uses hex keys these days.
ahead sets and sealed bearings take most of the fiddlyness out of things. in fact i would the only bad memories ive got from recent times have to do with removing those sorts of pressed in parts (there is probbaly a tool i dont want to pay for lol)

W W Biffta":3hyh3z8d said:
well say building bikes from parts is pretty straight forward, but probably would be more cost effective to buy a complete bike.
only thing i would say is if you do buy a used bike, the bits you might have to work on will likely be the most awkward bits of a full build anyway.
problems i have had in the past are usually to do with parts that need specific tools, but to be honest any multi tool will probably be ok for bolting parts onto a frame cos almost everything uses hex keys these days.
ahead sets and sealed bearings take most of the fiddlyness out of things. in fact i would the only bad memories ive got from recent times have to do with removing those sorts of pressed in parts (there is probbaly a tool i dont want to pay for lol)

I think i will try get a ready built bike if i can find a bargain.

Building a bike from the bits is quite satisfying though! I'm still a relative newbie to this pastime and one of the few "non chaps" to inhabit this forum.

To echo some of the earlier comments - a helpful friend with more knowledge and some of the all important tools is a great asset. But you don't actually need that many tools really. Allen keys, a spanner or two, screwdriver and a chain splitter cope with most of it. Borrow a bottom bracket tool and crank extractor if you need them.

For some other things the LBS is a good bet - mine will fit headset cups, fork crown race etc. if you buy the headset from them and that makes the whole thing a lot easier.

I've also found a couple of manuals helpful. Lots of people use the Park Tools Blue Book - it's very comprehensive. I also have an old Haynes mountain bike manual of about the same vintage as the bikes - it's quite good for the daft questions like "which way do I tighten this?"

Allow plenty of time, especially for the setting up - takes longer than bolting all the bits on!!

So give it a go and have fun - you see - once you've bought those tools you can't waste them so you just have to build another and before you know it you'll be like the rest of us - sunk without trace in the mire of bike related madness!

Back